sourcing a connector

Dj Dunc

AHA, thats what I was kind of planning on doing anyway, but completely forgot about thomann. Although, thinking about it, wont the red tab get caught when I put it through the hole, I.E the distance between the silver surround and the red tab is going to be too small to allow the tab to work, as well as the thickness of the mounting

EDIT: just seen the silver flange part, which means that the whole thing will work.

cheers jon

dunc

Once you get used to the new cpc search, you get better - using 'their' words in the search boxes is a must - so socket brings up one set of results, but connector brings up different ones - quarter inch 1/4" and 6.35 or even 6.25mm bring up other options - the other thing is if you've used older cpc language you get lots of out of stock/replaced results, whereas the newer cpc language brings back the current stuff.

Ah righto. seeing as Ive just found some more of the stuff I wanted on there I might as well get all the extra stuff I need in one big order, so I may be back hunting more bits. Cheers everyone

HANGON: another quick question. on a guitar cab around .8m x .6m x .4m (no idea what weight but will have 2x12" drivers using 18mm ply so I estimate around 50kg) how many handles would you like to see on these, would 2 be manegable or is 4 preferable? These have no wheels on, but I have made a fitted dolly for these, so lifting is minimal.

EXTRA BIT: can anyone find http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_hall_87160_einbauschale.htm from the cpc site? or something similar, but it must have the same connection holes

EDIT OF EXTRA BIT: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productd...jsp?sku=LS00567 Does this look as if it has the same fittings or not? I cant make me mind up, even though the picture is assigned to the wrong product page, if chris could point me in the right direction that would be good.

If you have a dolly, then two makes sense. One thing when you rear mount these things (having done exactly this). In the steel plates they seem to be fine, as the plate isn't that deep, but I have some in a 1U panel, and it's just tick enough to make release a bit tricky with some jacks. I think the problem is the roll-over on the release. It works with the usual gentle curve you get on most jacks - but if you have some of the cheaper kind with a deeper groove in the tip contact, the slope is a beet steep, and the locking pin has a hard job retracting quite enough to release it. I broke the red fingertip 'speader' by angry finger wiggling to get them to release, and have to use a screwdriver tip to get plugs out now, which is a pain!

Good idea to use the mounting plate with a standard 'D' type hole punched.

However now is the time to consider moving away from the use of jack plugs and sockets for speaker signals - which might (just) have been OK in the days of 30 watt amplifiers.

It is clearly crazy to use the same connectors for both inputs and output though, surely?

So fit a Speakon and enjoy better reliability - you will never mix up speaker and instrument cables (ever seen a melted instrument cable wrongly used for a speaker connection?).......

The good thing with the Neutrik part that you have shown is that is does lock - but I have seen damage caused by people 'helping' after the gig trying to pull the plug out, not realising that you have to press the red button!

EDIT OF EXTRA BIT: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productd...jsp?sku=LS00567 Does this look as if it has the same fittings or not? I cant make me mind up, even though the picture is assigned to the wrong product page, if chris could point me in the right direction that would be good.

The plate will be supplied with two basic, plastic jack sockets on (and yes... the picture is wrong :) )

I'd have to agree that in my humble opinion there is no good reason whatsoever for using jacks for speakers. So many issues, even if you discount the accidental pull out problem. For me, the biggest issue is using 2.5mm cable - simply too big for jacks. Neutrik jacks are the most solid - but speakons have virtually no price advantage and are now universal.

Archived