adapters

P. Funk

this may sound really stupid, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could get 8 pin DIN female to female adapters from? I could buy the sockets, but I dont particularly want to have to wire them myself - much rather just have a self-contained block of metal thing. any ideas?

getting it from AC or somethign is out of the question really - we're not getting anythign else for the moment and I dont particularly want to pay a £47 surcharge to make it up to their minimum order :(

speaking of adapters, is it true you can plug a 3pin XLR plug into a 5pin XLR socket?

Yes, most of the time, the 5 pin DMX stream that comes out the back of a desk doesn't carry anything on Pin 4 or 5 (although has the ability to carry another universe, which I think the Pearl does?) so you can make up an adapator that transposes Pins 1-3 from the 5 pin XLR to the 3 pin XLR line so you can run into the Macs in your rig etc.

Sometimes you need to Phase reverse as some Martin gear runs pins 2 and 3 round the other way, (Robocolour 400s and Pro 518s for instance), so you'd need a phase convertor at the end of each run of these fixtures so they will work properly.

Stu

speaking of adapters, is it true you can plug a 3pin xlr plug into a 5pin xlr socket?

If you mean physically fit a 3pin XLR into a 5pin socket, then no, you can't. The pins (and thus the holes) are much smaller in a 5pin than a 3pin.

so you'd need a phase convertor at the end of each run of these fixtures so they will work properly.

Sorry Stu, im not being picky :** laughs out loud **:

But just to clarify, you would need a phase reverse (or phase convertor) at the beginning of each run for these type fixtures.

so you'd need a phase convertor at the end of each run of these fixtures so they will work properly.

Sorry Stu, im not being picky :** laughs out loud **:

But just to clarify, you would need a phase reverse (or phase convertor) at the beginning of each run for these type fixtures.

Sorry yes how true... I did mean to say you'd need one at the beginning and at the end, but I was half awake at posting and missed it that little bit out ;)

Many apologies - ta for pointing it out

Stu

well there no danger of me getting to use martin fixtures,

I ask becuase I am thinking aobut getting a 24/48 elara (with analouge kit) I have been offered 2nd hand, but the DMX cable I bought has 3pin ends so if I could have odne it without an adaptor it would have saved me some money, oh well

how much are adaptors usually

well there no danger of me getting to use martin fixtures,

I ask becuase I am thinking aobut getting a 24/48 elara (with analouge kit) I have been offered 2nd hand, but the DMX cable I bought has 3pin ends so if I could have odne it without an adaptor it would have saved me some money, oh well

how much are adaptors usually

Why don't you chop the 3-pin connectors off and solder on a couple of 5-pin ones? Not only would it then work with the desk without the use of adaptors, but it would also be proper DMX cable.

Archived