Curtain sticking

Johnno

Our curtain opens three-quarters of its travel, sticks, and then runs freely again. What is likely to cause this? The track hasn't been subject to any kind of disturbance, nor is it likely to have been serviced in any way since it was last re-strung, and I don't know when that was. WD40? ;)

What sort of track is it - old Halls Stage? Triple E?

How is it operated? By hand, on a rope? By motor? By hand-winch?

Have you actually got up a 'scope/ladder/access tower and had a look at the actual place on the track where it is sticking? While you are there run the tabs in and out and watch what happens as it sticks....

If the track is still the same as when I was there, the basic routine maintenance that kept it working was to use beeswax along the track at regular intervals. Talk to Gordon Halliwell as he used to oversight the tech work (and kept us in order back then :off: ) and is extremely likely to remember. The Sixth Form College up the road will probably have contact details for him, if there are none there, although he was also involved with the Blackpool Grammar School Old Boys Association.

PM me if you want any local advise.

Peter

Few possibilities off the top of my head:

1) a pair of runners are catching on each other as they seperate at the trailing edge (offstage)

- Very irritating to fix unfortunately.

2) The pull rope has got some gunk on it (often LX tape), that is sticking as it passes through the pulleys.

3) The track has become slightly bent or otherwise damaged at one point, causing the runners to momentarily jam at that position.

- Less likely as I'd expect to see regular "jerks" as each runner passes through the sticky section.

Beeswax is good stuff though, and definately worth it!

Archived