Buying video camera mics

Suzette

Hello,

My searching has turned up only one previous topic on the BR- which had received no replies in 2005!

Google etc turn up so many replies that I am really unsure where to start....

Basically I need to try and buy a mic, fishpole & (probably) camera adaptor for a Canon XL1 camera - but I don't know where to buy from. I'm based in SW London but obviously that shouldn't limit where I buy from as Royal Mail are quite reasonable at deliveries in London.

What I am after is some recommendations for companies where I can talk to someone for advice and get some prices - I need minimum of 2, preferably 3, quotes.

If anyone would like to recommend a particular mic then feel free.

FYI - the camera is used for camera classes in a drama school (18yrs+ students doing a degree course). It is also used for filming short projects & showreels for final year graduate students. We have a new (and much better) film tutor who wants to 'up the standard' produced but needs better equipment to do so - hence the need for a separate camera mic rather than using the mic attached to the camera.

I have looked at the Rode NTG2 short shotgun mic, which I believe is "industry acceptable?" and also the Sennheiser K6/ME66 - am I going in the right direction with these mics?

It would be better if the mic could be powered via internal battery as location shooting is becoming part of the course now and trying to find a 13amp power supply on Clapham Common isn't easy!

Budget - well as low as possible really, but having said that I don't want cheap equipment that isn't going to do the job ...

We've got a Sennheiser ME66, and as you've worked out the K6 gives battery power. You could also try Creative Video or B-Hague who have some pretty cheap boom kits, although without the full blown basket, you could look at the full basket and windjammer, but it may be more than you want to spend. I'm not entirely clear, do you want a camera mount for the mic, or are you talking about the Canon MA 100 mic adaptor and shoulder stock.

Basically I need to try and buy a ... fishpole ... Budget - well as low as possible really...

Whenever I see the terms 'fishpole' and 'budget' within a short distance of each other I think of this article. Even if the title doesn't appeal, keep reading, as there is some info on industry standard tools.

Thanks for the replies - I'm working through the various websites suggested ...

peternewman - yes I believe I am looking for the MA-200 adaptor as well (can you tell that this is not my area of expertise!)

yes I believe I am looking for the MA-200 adaptor as well
That's interesting, I'd misremembered the MA-200 as being the one for the XM2, and the MA-100 for the XL1 (we've got one of each so they're both down on our inventory). Anyway I didn't realise they did a choice for the XL1, I don't think there are any differences apart from the extra two inputs and the BNC, so it might be a good way to save some money by going for the MA-100, rather than the 200 which I imagine will be more expensive.

It might also be worth trying Digital Village for stuff.

I had only found the MA-200, didn't realise there was a MA-100 - thanks I will keep searching.

From the info I had found I had assumed the MA-200 was the only available adaptor, hence the reason for posting to try and obtain more info before spending any money..........

Not ignored dunk 1984 - just not yet had time to look properly and didn't notice the big MA-100 at the top of your link - sorry, no slight intended (production meeting and quick get-in/fit-up got in the way of BR surfing...)

I wasn't complaining, just the way the conversation evolved I thought it may have been missed, it is OK I was just trying to answer the questions that followed not to be pushy. *apologises profusely*

Archived