Vista Software and a touchscreen

Ken Coker

Dear All

Borrowing an idea from Gareth - thanks for the PM - anyone have any reasons why running the Vista software on a PC with a touchscreen won't work? (Lovely though all the other PC based controllers are, Vista software/dongle is the system available to me.) Anyone done it?

Cheers

KC

Hi Ken,

Yes, I regularly run Vista with a touchscreen (both alongside an S3 and alone). Works just fine. I found a 3M Microtouch on eBay for a very reasonable price. It works so well that I'm seriously considering getting a touchscreen laptop to VNC link with my Vista machine (I run Vista on a desktop) so I can do all my focussing from the auditorium seats.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Based upon the small amount of Vista experience that I have, there's only one comment that I can usefully make - given that the Vista screen layout is designed around the use of a stylus as the pointing/selecting device, would it not be a little bit clumsy and inaccurate when used with the end of a fat finger instead?

Hi Gareth, I bought one of those large pen-style stylus affairs from CPC (made by Belkin, order code CS12246). It's more than accurate for the role. I must admit I only used it for a day before I taped it permanently into "stylus" mode. The thought of sticking a biro point through my nice new touchscreen made me shudder!

EDIT - Added product reference.

Hi,

My thoughts were to run vista on a desktop pc, and use a touchscreen laptop to wirelessly connect (using remote network connection). This would mean I would have to construct a wireless network at each event, but Im sure this would be as easy an implementing a wireless access point.

Any Ideas?

Adam

use a touchscreen laptop to wirelessly connect

Apart from the inadvisability of using a wireless data network in uncontrolled* spectrum for convenience's sake, as discussed elsewhere, I'd worry about latency.

I've never used remote access program which didn't have some latency - even on a 100 Mb/s wired network where nothing else was using the network. If all you're doing is hitting a go button on the SM's GO, it shouldn't be too bad, but if you want to busk anything... ouch.

As a remote focus tool (especially if you already have the hardware) it would be fine, but I wouldn't want to run a show with it.

Tom

* I mean that there's no official frequency management as there is with most radio mic channels, I just can't think of the magic word for this right now...

Archived