Power Monitors turn into Microhones?

Jambo_UK

Wondered if anyone could explains why this has happened.

Had an event at the Hawth Studio in Crawley West Sussex in the UK. We attached our power monitors up on in the studio plugged it into their ring main sockets located in the studio powered them up connect them via daisy chain down our multicore to the desk. During the Sound check I noticed that when I spoke on stage with all the microphones off that I could heard myself in the monitors. So we powered down the sound desk and then I spoke into the monitors and I could heard myself back and it responded to the volume control on the back. I changed all the XLRs for the monitors and also switched the multicore channels round and this had no effect. Meaning that the multicore and XLRs were clear leaving just the powered monitors.

Post the event I tested when back at our base and they did do the same? Meaning that nope of the equipment we used was at fault.

The other interesting thing was the Green Room which back onto the Studio. One of the bands were tuning using a Peavey 4 x 12 Stack Cab with a Kustom 30watt Amps could heard the gig being amplifier though his amp. There was no siginal cable in that room and also with the door closed it was sound proof.

Any ideas?

Here is the equipment we were suing;

Sound desk - Behringer MX2442A

Monitors- The.box PA302A x 3

Standard 30m Mulircore 16/4

Also all of equipment has just been PAt tested and all equipment used on that night passed with no issues.

In which case, that's probably your answer.

Hearing loops radiate some power outside of the actual loop, which would account for being able to pick it up on the stage.

I've only ever come across guitar pickups and valve amps picking up hearing loops though, never things like powered monitors... I assume they're all CE marked? Were the venue aware of anyone else having such problems?

all our equipment carries either the UK or EU katemark on them. As the technician he was surprised by what had happened and it was the first case he had heard of but saying that we are the only touring Band Nights that goes to that venue and use our own PA.

I'm planning to check all our XLRs stock again and visit the venue to check for any other causes before our next event there.

So if the inductive loop is the cause I could ask for it to be powered down in that room and in theory problem solved.

Up on a shelf above the dimmers is the Induction loop unit for the Studio. Given the crowds you get at these events (waiting to be flamed for this) I would be tempted to turn the induction loop off.

Just out of curiosity why do you use your own stuff? The Hawth's Studio is very well spec'd and more than adequate for what you'd need. That and I very much doubt you'd have these problems.

The Hawth's Studio is very well spec'd and more than adequate for what you'd need

Wish that was true, The system was trailed at a mates event, sounded rubbish so we use our own rig which I know inside out and trust plus its cheaper to bring then hire in the hawth pa on top of the room hire.

Hmm, im not sure where that came from. Given well set up Turbo TSE over Peavey Pro series I know what I'd pick.

I would imagine it was down to an in-experienced engineer why it "sounded rubbish". I've used it numerous times and always found it to be a nice little system for the venue.

However, each to their own etc...

Agreed, perfectly useable system in there. Though I'm a TSE fan anyway when looking at rigs of yesteryear at least.

Single coil pickups tend to be the ones that pick up induction loops the worst. Such as Strats etc.

I've known cheap passive DI boxes pick up to a certain extent (nothing major) so I'm wondering if there is some passive line level device in the back of the cab as these are powered.

Rob

Hearing loops radiate some power outside of the actual loop, which would account for being able to pick it up on the stage.

I've only ever come across guitar pickups and valve amps picking up hearing loops though, never things like powered monitors... I assume they're all CE marked? Were the venue aware of anyone else having such problems?

Last year I did a semi-acoustic tour in some very nice theatres around Germany. One venue which normally held choral/orchestral events had this problem. We were all set up and were about to do the soundcheck when I noticed I could hear people chatting and moving around on stage even though all I/p gains were set to zero. I could pfl or afl on any part of the desk and there it was, loud and clear!

I completely removed the multicore connector from the dog kennel....still there! Completely flummoxed until the support band engineer walked past and said "I've had that before...let's find the in-house technical guy and see if they have an induction loop". So off we went.

The in-house tech switched off the loop....problem solved! He said that this problem had never presented itself before but there again most of the concerts were either acoustic or done with the aid of a few hot-spot speakers.

None of the other theatres with loop systems did this and we were playing in places like the Operetten Haus in Hamburg and the Deutches Theater in Munich.

The desk was a Yamaha PM4000.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. We did another event down there and it was the induction loop causing the issue. Both the room I hired had one. Once both were switched off, we had no more problems.

Thanks for the help again

Archived