Water! Help!

Hello,

I don't know if you can help. I'm currently writing a musical for my Musical theatre degree. as part of the assignment we need to research all aspects of the show including any technical problems.

In my show I have a water fight, Ive managed to work out how to waterproof mics etc but just need to find out about waterproofing a stage.

Does anybody know what the general practise is for making a stage safe if you are gonna use water on it. Hope you can help!

x

You will need to localise the fight as much as possible so the water doesn't go too far, if possible have some sort of lip or something to stop it going anywhere it shouldn't (footlights? audience? wings?), drain it as much and as soon as possible, then clear up after it as quickly as possible. You'll also need to rehearse it well. If you do all the above then it's well on the way to passing a risk assessment!

Sorry none of that is practical advice but I thought a little theory to start us off would be good. <_<

That's awesome. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'll keep looking into, but that has helped loads. For our assignment we're expected to do all the technical stuff even though we've never been trained it...as you can imagine, it's pretty bloody difficult! <_<

flexible pond liner would probably be a good base for stage water fight you have the option to fit it round just about anything and adjust the height according to the amount of water, clear plastic screens made from perspex or even cling film over a wire frame could be used as deflectors if other props are around to hide them or they could be flown to help stop the escape of large amounts of splashing water?

I did sound at one of these productions events last year..Bollywood Steps.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6443/dscn0070yg7.th.jpg

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/8240/dscn0071lt3.th.jpg

The clue about the water is the sprinkler to the right of the cameramans hands and the huge water mains at the back of the stage. The finale of the show is a huge water cascade which is then lit by all the variety of lights around the stage!

The effect was stunning and worked very well but the head-ache with making sure water went were it`s supposed to! The sound and lighting racks and distros backstage were put in tents, all the Movers have their " condoms " on and the stage was freshly painted with anti-slip paint to help the dancers stay upright! I had to wrap the monitors at the rear of the stage in plastic bags to try and keep the deluge out! But compared to the rain overnight it was a mere drop!

I was only involved with one production so it might help to track them down and see if you get a few more details?

Here`s the tech specs to start with?

.p.

Moderation: Images thumbnailed.

I'm a bit interested in your ideas for waterproofing mics - I've never found a way of doing this that doesn't sound awful? Are you sure you've got this one under control - if the product is important, this could be an area where you could trip yourself up badly.

Just to clarify, what do you mean "water fight"? How much water exactly? Water pistols? Buckets? Hoses?

Buckets! It's set in a prison and there is one bit where the girls chuck buckets of water over one lass and a fight ensues. So in short a bit of chucking and lots of splashing about in it.

If you go for pond liner, risk assessment time... very slippery! Strips of gaffa help to give some extra grip, but I'm sure there are better ways around it.

The other thing is you really don't need much water in the buckets to make it look like a lot, it will always look like much more on stage (It's all in the throw! :) ) Seriously though, it is hardly worth completely waterproofing the stage for a few buckets with not much water in. Consider just mopping it up at the first available blackout, a few seconds and done. I can't see any reason to make it so complicated.

Just my thoughts!

I did recently see a production of Johnno at the Derby playhouse, where the whole set was based in a giant paddling pool, I'm not entirely sure how the whole thing worked, I think most of the actors were in bare foot, with a few exceptions, the areas surrounding the stage were covered in carpet ( I know not waterproof, however it should help with not slipping), and I'm pretty sure under the few inches of water was some form of non slip mat.

I'm sure there are others on BR that went to see it and could comment further.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...
If you go for pond liner, risk assessment time... very slippery! Strips of gaffa help to give some extra grip, but I'm sure there are better ways around it.

The touring production of 'An Inspector Calls' has/had a rain effect. There is a pond liner type plastic laid on the venues stage before anything else. Then the touring floor goes down, this is cobbled street. The floor has is raked so all the water runs down stage and then is drained via a series of holes in the floor. The pond liner then holds this in a void under the toured floor on top of the pond liner. There are then traps which can be lifted and using a wet dry vac pumpped out.

The floor its self has a rough surface, so stays anti-slip untill all the water has run off it!

Hope this makes sense

Buckets! It's set in a prison and there is one bit where the girls chuck buckets of water over one lass and a fight ensues. So in short a bit of chucking and lots of splashing about in it.

To avoid slipping on the pool-liner floor, have a look at the type of matting normally used behind bars. like this stuff. As the production is set in a prison, it won't look out of place and solve many problems (although not much splashing about...... ) You could even look at a black/brown mix for a checkered floor.

Don't know about your budget ;) but you may be able to hire some from a catering company, it is often used in temporary kitchens.

I'm a bit interested in your ideas for waterproofing mics - I've never found a way of doing this that doesn't sound awful? Are you sure you've got this one under control - if the product is important, this could be an area where you could trip yourself up badly.

When we were on Blues and Twos years ago, the sound crew used black condoms to waterproof the mics,and this worked well as the filming was of the inshore rescue I am a member of.

Archived