Martin rainMAC

Guiding_Light

Hi,

I checked the search feature and couldnt find anything about it, hope this isnt a repost!

Does anyone have any experience of using the Martin rainMAC (Link to martin website) as a means of protecting Mac fixtures from rain? My Uni theatre group are considering purchasing some for outdoor events (mainly to protect Mac250 washes).

If someone who has used these/has experience of these being used would be able to give me any insight into their effectiveness at protecting fixtures from rain that would be great. Also if anyone knows the dimensions of the product - the website says 465 (W) mm x 525 mm (L) but has no mention of the depth/size of the lip - that would be really useful for working out what kind of angles of beam movement they'll allow.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the second image on the page (click images, then 2), implies it sits over the base so will only restrict your movement marginally, I'd assume the size is the larger measurement, although a quick check against a fixture would confirm, and from there you could work out any limitations it imposes. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on their effectiveness, having only used the King Domes before.

Yeah, as Dj Dunc says, it doesn't seem to offer any protection against anything other than vertical rain and how often do you get rain and absolutly no wind??

May be the King Dome would be more suitable.

We used them outside in Cornwall last summer for a period of 8 weeks over some MAC500's mounted underhung.

They stop water from entering the ballast part of the lantern primarily and I can honestly say that with having the macs hung there for the period they never failed, always worked as advertised, and did what they state they do. (and if you remember last summer it rained a lot!!!)

Wouldn't want to comment about long long term (sure it wouldn't be good for the unit) but for a period over the summer - go for it!

Poppadom

I have used similar products, but they are only really suitable for short term protection from light rain. If you need to hang a moving light in a protected fashion I would use one of these.

I've used king domes to do guerrilla advertising at student unions around the country for a couple of weeks a year for the past few years, using them in a good variety of conditions. The only negative comment I have about them isn't to their protection from the elements. If you don't look after the plastic "sock" it can soften the gobo image projected, making the text (in my case) harder to read. Another pointer, don't kill power to the dome remotely untill the fixture has cooled sufficently, as when the "sock" deflates it will touch the fixture, leaving a nice hole in the sock and plastic all over your mover! Took a while to clean the gloop off the grill of a mac 2k

Archived