Noise meters

alan v

I'm looking to buy a couple of portable noise monitors, in order to ensure our outdoor festival is complying with our entertainment license.

They will also be used around the venue for checking out suspect gigs etc.

Ideally we would need to keep records of levels over a few days. It would be brilliant to upload them to a PC.

What do other people use / recommend?

Thanks,

Alan.

I use a CEL 200 series

http://www.casellacel.com/Products/Detail.asp?id=181

it is at the cheaper end of the pro meters.I use it mainly to show to the sound engineer when I say its too loud

it records Leq values (average over 30 mins) as well as instantaneous values which is probably a minimum requirement if you want to useable information but does not store values or upload so you need pen and paper .

entertainments licences for outdoor events often specify the level at certain frequencies as well as overall, there fore you may need a frequency sensitive meter that records levels of different frequencies at the same time. if this is the case they cost lots and you may be better off hiring either a meter or a bloke with a meter.

if you are going to use the meter to get readings for noise levels re noise in the workplace regulkations then a meter that tells you the average level over a working day would be useful

ian

Generally if you are doing something like that I have always found the authorities to be very helpfull when you show how much you want to comply with their license and will lend you a couple for the event. Or even better send a couple of people with them to do the monitoring for you and let you know if it is too loud.

Archived