Use of Safety chains to hang lights.

James

And do a risk assessment before taking it down - it may be surviving in it's static state, but any further jerking around (or asymmetric de-rigging...) of something that ropey sounding could cause fauilure.

Ben

Just a small point, but under LOLER, long link chains are not permitted for lifting.

Not sure what you mean by long link chains, but we have a large number of tested, rated, inspected etc. drift chains for suspending IWBs and barrels from counterweight bars. All the links are however welded on the long part of the link, not on the curve at the end to comply.

Guest lightnix

It doesn't matter how many safety chains, or possibly even what kind of chains he wraps around it, it's still unsafe.

"well the cables would catch it anyway"

"it will only fall if someone swings on it"

"we could always tie it off with a bit of string"

:blink:

This is Amateur with a capital "A", six feet high, running a 3 circuit neon chase. Let's not pussyfoot around the issue any further. Go straight to the venue and the show's producers, making your concerns crystal clear and pointing out that they can be held personally liable in the event of an accident, with unlimited fines and even prison sentences as a penalty. If they don't listen, then call your local licencing authority, blow the whistle and try to get them to come around, condemn it and read the Riot Act to all concerned.

OK, so you may never work with these people again, but then again do you really want to ?

Just a small point, but under LOLER, long link chains are not permitted for lifting.

Not sure what you mean by long link chains, but we have a large number of tested, rated, inspected etc. drift chains for suspending IWBs and barrels from counterweight bars. All the links are however welded on the long part of the link, not on the curve at the end to comply.

I do not know what makes a chain long-link. As far as I remember, it was covered on the ABTT Counterweight Flying course - when I need to know, I will find out or avoid chain altogether.

It is part of the reason why we are now moving to wire safety bonds.

short link rigging chain is similar to hat used in electric hoists, you cannot attach a shacle direct and need special connectors on each end.

long link chain suprisinly is made with links with longer oval shape ( about 2 or 3 times as long as short link for the same width

long link chain with welds at the end of each link should not be used for rigging, use it to padlock your tallescope so no one steals it etc

there is special long link chain (stac chain) with welds on the long side of each link which can be used as straight legs but never as a sling as this is forbiden by loler.

it will have the load info stamped on it.

Am I correct that with what is called 'long link' chain, an individual link can be rotated through 360°, whereas with motor chain and stac chain, the loops either side of a particular loop cannot 'overtake' each other?

Perhaps a better way of describing what I'm saying: the minor internal dimension is more than the diameter of the material used for the link.

With motor chain for example, the diameter of the material is not much less than the gap inside a loop.

Archived