Sound Quality

Conscript

Having put together bi-amped systems for many years, we tried a tri-amped system to see how it sounded. Many current chart hits of different styles were tried, as was some historic Pink Floyd, with a much higher noise floor! Older music sounded fine as did some new material, but some new material sounded awful, but this was not genre specific.

The only thing I can think of is that power-compression caused the poor quality, but being a thermal phenomenon, I'd expect the results to be longer term, say 5-10 minutes to come and go. The sound quality switched quickly good/bad/good/bad etc. as quickly as the CD could change tracks.

Any thoughts?

System Used:

2 x 15" Sub, 2 x 650W

1 x 15" Mid, 1 x 250W

2 x Arrayed Speakers, 2 x 500W

125Hz and 750Hz crossover frequencies.

Realise some amp adjustments needed.

What you're looking at is the way mastering compression, limiting and equalisation are applied to the tracks. There is a wide and varied range of sounds across all cds.

I won't start a rant over dynamic range, but will say that very little of it seems to get used these days on commercial cd recordings

The higher the quality of reproduction used the more you will hear the effects of this mastering.

Have a play around and you may find a compromise setting dependant on the program material you will be playing at each event.

Hope that makes a little sense

Owen

If I understand correctly, the rig exposed problems with some current chart material, rather than the other way around? So the band should sound OK, with compressors only on specific channels, never on groups and there being no master (sonic type) processor!

If that is the case, we need to test each pre-recorded item we will also be using to check the quality of each track through the system, and possibly get the producer to change any unsalvageable tracks?

How does chart material sound in clubs with 40K of amplifiers rather than just a couple? The CD was a compilation CD, but presumably there is no additional compression used for CD, in contrast to the days of my youth when compilation albums on the black vynal stuff were severely compromised in dynamics in order to increase the playing time.

A good quality vinyl has excellent dynamics, cd's unfortunately seem to be very much mastered for 'radio play' (even tho the radio stations have the equipment to do it themselves anyway!) with very little dynamics by the mastering houses. (see Chilli Peppers - Californication for more info!)

I won't complain in depth, but the art of mastering seems to be getting lost now that everyone is working completely in the digital domain, it is getting harder to find someone to create what I want from my recordings once they are due for public release.

Compilation cd's aren't in my opinion the best judge of music, as they create a playlist for the cd and do on occasion seem to adjust levels and equalisation to create an album feel rather than a collection of different songs produced by different producers.

Not sure how much truth is in that but I hear the differences.

But I would suggest you soundcheck with the material you will be playing on the system.

As for the big clubs, that is a most fun art! Unfortunately we have to leave it to the dj for the most part to make small adjustments for each tune they play, plus a very good setup with a very good in house engineer.

Archived