Using Sennheiser MKE2 for a Cello

bigglesuk

Rather than drag up an old thread I thought I'd put my questions in a new one.

Occasionally at our church we have someone who plays a cello. We struggle with mic placement/selection as there is a full band (drums, bass, guitars) alongside. The stage is small and compact which makes the challenge even harder. In a previous post someone recommended using a Sennheiser MKE2 near the cello's finger board.

1) Given we have problems using either an SM57 or a condenser mic picking up the cello, will this help?

2) Is it possible to hardwire an MKE2 so we don't have to use a radio pack? If so what kind of cable would I need/would the mic require phantom power.

I'd love to get some screens around the cello player but there is no budget for that, where as we have a spare MKE2 mic.

Cheers,

Adam

The Mke2 could be quite adequately put into service for this application.

Personally (due to the close proximity of other instruments) I would wrap the mke2 in a little lightweight foam and stick the microphone into one of the f-holes. With some careful eq a quite usable sound can be obtained. A sound not neccesarily inkeeping with a classical tone but usable none the less.

The mke2 can indeed be wired with a standard XLR (there is even the option to purchase them in this way).

Wiring follows the standard balanced line config and yes the mic will require phantom power to be supplied to it in order for it to work.

Regards

Poppadom

You can also use MKE2's on the DPA Rubber String holders which clip nicely over or under the strings depending on your preference. Although as poppa dom said you may get too much spill if you are using them in a pop sitiuation

Regards

Griff

I've often used MKE2 mics for cellos...even by choice when other options are available. I tend to just tape the mic lead to the back of the finger board so the mic itself hangs down an inch or so below the end of the board...the reproduction from this position seems pretty natural to my ears! I've never had any real problems with bleed when using this position (the mic is inches from the sound source but (admittedly) my application has tended to be theatre rather than rock. However, theatre pits can get loud and crowded!

In partial answer to your second question, to use an MKE-2 as a powered mic, you'll have to bodge some method of providing the capsule with a 7.5v power supply which is what the mic expects. I've had a quick look on the Sennheiser site to see if they provide such a thing but didn't find anything...however, I'm presently travelling with only a dodgy Wifi link so didn't take a lot of time...a call to Senny's support department might be in order.

Bob

Archived