JB Systems, SmartBeam

Pete234

Hi, can someone help please???

I have just bought a set of 4 JB SYSTEMS SmartBeam lights, believing I could control them via my own DMX desk - they were advertised as coming complete with their own mini controller and a set of DMX leads, so I assumed this to be possible.

OK, my mistake, I should have read deeper into it, it would appear they are not DMX at all. :unsure:

The supplied "controller" turns out to be nothing more than a stand-by switch (on or off), which when activated simply just allows the lights to run through the 50 internal patterns, basically just random and sound-to-light... I had assumed I would have at least be able to select which pattern I wanted and leave it on?

So, my question is... is it possible to deactivate these internal scrolling patterns and to have the lights just static, ON?

All I really wanted was to be able to have a back-drop of white light, as and when I wanted it... anything else would have been a bonus.

If I could HOLD any one pattern of course, that would be great but even that seems impossible.

Hoping someone can help as my only other option is to try and send them back tomorrow morning.

With thanks,

Pete

Those appear to be re-branded American DJ Saturns. If so, they're not controllable in any meaningful sense of the word. Unless you feel like doing surgery on the control board of the master unit, there's nothing you can do.

Those appear to be re-branded American DJ Saturns. If so, they're not controllable in any meaningful sense of the word. Unless you feel like doing surgery on the control board of the master unit, there's nothing you can do.

Hi Zak, thanks for the response.

Yes, it rather looks like they are just ON or OFF, though the advert states "The lighting combination works with the small controller supplied or directly from an internal microphone".

To me, this suggests they are controllable to at least a small degree, but the 'controller' is in fact, just a stand-by ON/OFF switch.

I would be prepaired to do 'surgery' on the board if I knew how as the effect whilst the lights are static is just what I wanted.

The instructions (for what they're worth) do state though, that "the device is not designed for continual use"... exactly how long 'continual' is I am not sure as I would need them to be active for between 30-45 minutes at a time so I would imagine that should be OK???

Anyway, failing that, I'm gonna have to see if I can get a refund or at least, swap for something else.

The day started off badly as it was, with the board in the master lamp hanging off inside.. OK, this was easily fixed but the end result just added insult to injury!

Pete

exactly how long 'continual' is I am not sure as I would need them to be active for between 30-45 minutes at a time so I would imagine that should be OK???

Most DJ Lights say this. I've never had any problems running them all night long.

Moderation: As discussed in the past few weeks - this topic is a clear example of material that would best be served by posting on www.mobiledjforums.com - The mods, admin and some members have suggested that these kind of in-depth DJ equipment discussions are not really well suited for handling on the BR - so we have decided to close the topic, and redirect any members interested in this kind of thing to visit the 'other place' for information - thanks

Archived