Does anyone know what a "Rollwaggon" is?

GridGirl

I'm about to start in on rehearsals of Wycherley's The Country Wife and at one point in the script one of the characters refers to a "rollwaggon". It's some sort of piece of china (probably vaguely phallic in how it looks!), we know that much from the script, but we can't find anything else out about it. Does anyone have any idea what it is or what it looks like?!

• 2 weeks later...
Just in case anyone was wondering, or is propping The Country Wife and has the same problem, we discovered what a "rollwaggon" is! One of my cast members had a different edition of the script, with notes on the text, and it explained what it is....turns out it is a phallic-looking vase, beautifully decorated, apparently!

....turns out it is a phallic-looking vase, beautifully decorated, apparently!

and there just so they can say lines like 'My Sir what a huge quantity of china you have for me'

Restoration comedy really is the forerunner of the Carry On films, Benny Hill and seaside postcards where double entandre almost slips over in to single entendre.

Archived