boss 8lites

Matt

we are planning to buy some boss 8lites and I was wondering wether they would fit with the rainbow scrollers???? can anyone help, if not, could you reccomend suitable alternatives.

cheers.

Rainbow do an 8lite scroller (http://www.rainbow-colour-changers.de/rainbow_sites/products/8_lite.htm) so if the particular 8lites your buying have the correct gel size runner on them, then you'll be able to fit these.

Chroma Q also do one (http://www.aclighting.co.uk/Products/Chroma-Q/colour_changers.asp).

I couldn't find Boss 8lites on a Google, so I'm not sure if they'll fit, but it's worth an investigation.

HTH

Stu

ok, for some reason the dude went and baught 2 8-lites

so the dilemma is now (dont care bout scrollers POS as we have been informed) that we need some ultra thick gels as in like 5mm thick :** laughs out loud **: joke, but really thick, seeing as we have the 650w version (nice :) )

anyone help me on this

remember... ultra thick gels, not toilet paper

The thickness of the gel won't make any difference, in fact as I seem to remember, the thicker it is the quicker it melts.

What you want to use is either Lee HT (High Temperature) filter which is avaiable in a variety of colours, but not all of the Lee catalogue. Mostly on the deep, saturated colours. Quick tip on cutting HT gel - cut slightly larger as it shrinks a little bit after a while.

Or use Rosco gel, which last longer anyway. Colours aren't so nice (in my opinion).

Stu

well, as my colleague informs me, not sure if it is correct, they will have 8x650's in them...? was thinking that would be enough to melt any gel... :** laughs out loud **:

both Raindow, Chroma Q and Molemag scrollers work fine on 8 Lites -

Use HT Gel,

Use a Fan Box Stand Off Plate

Heatshield between Stand Off and Scroller

Have used this combination may times and not had any problems...

DO NOT use the cheepy little plastic filters that maplin sell for pinsopts - you'll have a bonfire within seconds.

regards

Tim

Rosco gel last longer anyway. Colours aren't so nice (in my opinion).

Can I put in a word of support for Rosco gels here? Yes they do last longer, and I love the colours. Their e-colour range is much the same as Lee and their Supergel range contains quite a few colours that Lee don't do and which are eminently useful.

One man's fish is another man's poison, as the French fishermen say!

Can I put in a word of support for Rosco gels here?  Yes they do last longer, and I love the colours.  Their e-colour range is much the same as Lee and their Supergel range contains quite a few colours that Lee don't do and which are eminently useful.

This is true - I find that Supergel has a much better range of blues than Lee.

their Supergel range contains quite a few colours that Lee don't do and which are eminently useful.

I have to agree here, Surprise Blue is nice and useful, and not very easy to recreate using Lee.

I think it's a bit of both to be honest, Lee do nicer saturated colours, and Rosco do nicer frosts and colour tints - IMHO of course! :** laughs out loud **:

Stu

Rosco do nicer frosts

Hmm, yes, that's another good point. Lee's selection of Hampshires is OK, but I've never thought that they're quite as good for softening off an FOH wash as a bit of half- or quarter-Hamburg.

Just to get back on-topic ... one method which may prove useful if you're having trouble with gel burnout on your 8-lites is to have a word with a friendly wardrobe mistress (all wardrobe mistresses are friendly, but some are more friendly than others ... :** laughs out loud **: ) and ask if you can borrow a ponce wheel. These are small rollers with little spikes on them which can be used to put a series of imperceptible perforations across a piece of colour, and help to extend its life on a particularly hot lantern by allowing the colour to 'breathe' a bit.

we dont have any wardrobe mistresses, and the female drama teacher is about 24 (guys, she is single :** laughs out loud **: ) and probably not a clue what that is, but that idea does sound pretty cool to me (no pun intended)

Archived