Vertically mounted Data Projectors

audiovisualbod

I have a up coming event where a screen will be mounted Portrait (12x9). Because some of the images need to be XGA res I hoped to mount the projector vertical (on its side).

Can anyone see any potentional problems, excluding venting and mounting?

A Panasonic PT D5600E Projector was the intention.

Most (but not all) projectors only have key adjustment for the projector hight, not its position left/right. So turn this 90 degrees & you'll have to mount the projector at the hight of the centre of the screen.

All your software (that will be displayed) needs to output in portrait, or you need a program to convert it for you, as comes with monitors that rotate.

Check the manual for the Projector. Some lamps won't take it, others will. I know that most of the Barco's will run happily when rotated about the axis 90 Degrees to the lens (Tilt as it were), but only +/- 20 Degrees on the side to side. So taking the projector through 90 degrees would be outside the recomended specification for the Barco's. As for the Panny's I don't know.

our units intake and exhaust are on the sides, so our projectors can project vertically but cannot be placed on their sides - to for instance to give a portrait image, in such cases we reccomend using something like a high end catalyst

The effect I think you are after I did on an event quite recently and the vertical 3:4 ratio looks great, a nice change. (we were using it for background obstract visuals on 7'6" x 10' screen)

We used a Sanyo XF45 but after Sanyo saying sidemount was a no go, we opted for a short throw lens, with an Analog Way GSII to "squash" the image as required and then some black flattage to mask off the projected black either side of the screen surface which ended up being key to ensuring it worked and didn't bleed onto other screens & into the audience's eyes.

If a plasma screen is a viable option, I have done these side mount easily with a DVD player running the 'powerpoint' style slides which were put together in Adobe After Effects as an image side-on. This worked well.

I hope that gives you some direction forward and encouragement in pursuing what you want to see happen.

As Luke from Barco says, Catayst media server system would let you do it easily, but is a large cost factor.

A simple way to do this is treat the projected image as a 16x12 screen mount the projector as normal and either make a mask on the slides or use a decent switcher that can squash the image in. using the second method will distort the ratio of the image unless you make it sideways anamorphic at source. Creating a mask is easier.

The Job has happened couldnt see a reason not to fly the 5600's on there side and they performed perfectly(a complete pig to line up) with some homemade brackets (note to make counterbalances in future)

They needed to project XGA portrait with limited budget (and I dont have high res projectors yet!)

oh not noticed the need to mask over overspill with the DLP's yet

This may be of use to others, so I'll post it anyway. The LASER Tag page has this comment:

Actually we got that one because it was liquid cooled and could be put in almost any position without damaging the bulb. Also because it was DLP you get a pretty good contrast ratio. We got two of them because we though we would need to double them up or something but we only ended needing one it was so bight.

Archived