Show control

Dave

I do a couple of small tours each year for dance shows that run to a recorded backing track. I currently run the lights manually, but I was wondering about more sophisticated options. There are a few points where a fast succession of cues is needed and it would be nice for them to happen automatically.

I'm not an expert in this field, but the ideas I came up with were:

(a) Record the soundtrack onto a timecode machine, play the timecode into an lx desk with an SMPTE input, and trigger cues off it.

(b) Use some sort of computer package that could play out the soundtrack and output DMX to drive the dimmers directly

Any suggestions? It's not large-scale and budgets are limited. I'm fully aware that I'd need to do some reprogramming to cope with differences in the rig in each venue, but from past experience it won't be that much.

The soundtrack contains stereo effects so the option of using one side of a CD for audio and the other for timecode isn't ideal. I think a timecode flash recorder might be the only practical option. Would rather not go with timecode DAT as it's on its way out. I could also use a PC with a multi-channel soundcard.

There's also the midi approach which might work well with a PC and some sequencing software.

Obviously anything with a computer brings about the usual reliability issues...

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Dave

I sequence and perform audio, video, and lighting, all single-handedly with Ableton Live.

I know it's not a professional show-control solution, but if anyone would like to point out something that can't be done with it, I'd like to know. It's extremely powerful, flexible, and inexpensive.

Your requirements are basic, and can be done with a relatively low-spec laptop, a simple MIDI controller and a MIDI>DMX converter.

There are a few options that I am aware of.

Show Magic is pc based show control.From it you can run audio, DMX, and midi all synced together, and is easy to adjust for different venues.I think their site is www.showmagic.com.

Alternatively you could use something like cake walk allowing you to sync midi triggers up with the audio.

Personally I would have a look at show magic, its very easy to use and designed for just such uses.

Later

Mart

Which lighting console(s) do you currently use or have access to?

Very few budget consoles have SMPTE or MIDI timecode inputs unfortunately - those tend to be premium features.

However, the vast majority of consoles can do automated wait times/followon cues, and this could be used when playing back from a CD as the time repeatability of most CD players is pretty good.

I've done a couple of dance shows where everything was timed with follow-on cues, and I just had to hit GO and Play at the same time.

we do this by playing back timecode as a seperate channel on the audio playback (so we normally use 4 or 5 channels playback, stereo L R, 1-2 stems, timecode). this gets sent to a Hog 2 and a Pearl and drives the lighting tht way. the good thing about SMPTE timecode is that it can be easily played back from any audio hardware as all the signalling is done in the audio frequency range.

BlueShift,

I presume you mean submixes by stems (I think that's a film term which I'm not really familiar with).

What hardware do you use for your playback?

Thanks

Dave

Yeah, by stems I mean certain components of a track that are split out from the main stereo signal into seperate outputs to enable control live.

So far ive only needed to use multitrack playback with timecode sync when using video presentations so this is done from Watchout (as in dataton) as this allows squencing of large numbers of audio and video tracks which can be played back accross multiple screens - in our case onto a 13m * 9m rear projected screen which uses 4 projectors (2 * double stacks) soft-edged together.

Chris

I like your Option B, which is the sort of thing I do all the time with PCStage.

In short, it has a thing called MediaSync, in which you can playback your audio tracks. You can also allocate cue points when you want something to happen, just by going Ctrl-N to generate the cue point, on the beat. PCStage is also a lighting desk, so those cue points can trigger lighting changes.

It actually takes longer to type in the half baked explanation that it takes to actually start recording cues and doing the job :)

Cost is low, about 250 quid for a DMX512 interface to drive lights, plus you need a computer, preferable also an external USB audio device to reduce computer hash on the audio feed.

Another way of doing this woud be to use a product called Keystroke, made by Rosco. It converts DMX values into keystrokes on a computer. So you plug DMX in to one side of it and a computer (via USB) in to the other side and then tell it which DMX values mean which key strokes. Using this you could run your audio off a computer using SFX, Cricket, or other such program, then all you would have to do is press go on the lighting desk.

Archived