Computer Aided LX Design Vs Pen & Paper?

b1nuzz

CAD or Pen and Paper  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer to use/see?

• Computer Aided Designs with visualisation (WYSIWYG etc)
    • Cad programme without visualisation (Autocad, etc)
    • Pen and Paper
    • Pen and Paper at first, then Computer with visualisation
    • Pen and Paper at first, then Computer without visualisation
    • It's all in my head.

99% of what I do is with a drafting program first - it's not a CAD program simply a drawing - Visio. I do this because it produces a neat output and I can change things easily. I use the layers feature extensively especially on shows with lots of different scenes where I'll draw each scene's set on a different layer.

I do sometimes do a rough outline on paper first but that will be for those times when it's not practical for me to get my laptop out but I need to put some thoughts down on paper.

And I suppose I do use paper and pencil throughout the process because I will print a copy of the rig and then mark it up for changing over a period of time and then make the changes in the PC. I always have printed copies to give to the rigging crew (even if it's only me)

Like others have said earlier I will develop an Excel spreadsheet of the rig which I can sort in various ways to suit the different requirements - gel sequence, physical position sequence, channel sequence etc

The basic technique used by the majority of designers in pretty much every engineering discipline is Paper first, then CAD

Same for me too. I use Wysiwyg even for small shows, just because everything I design is then in Wysiwyg.

I would only make a 3-D drawing if it was necessary and don't bother with rendering.

Having plotted in Wywiwyg I then print to PDF so I can e-mail the plot to whoever needs it. I can only print up to A3 at home, and if I need bigger I will print to PDF at a suitable resolution and e-mail it off for printing.

Depending on the scale of the rig and venue I tend to do a rough pen and paper draft followed by a CAD version to tie up the loose ends. I quite often do complete shows before getting to the CAD stage by which time its gone and I'm on to the next gig...

I use auto cad lt 2002 with symbols that have there attributes attached. the only problem I have is rotating a fixture is a pain as it messes up the atts!. I have looked in to other design packages but I haven't got the time to learn how to use them!!!

I don't tend to do the paper bit, I find it just as easy to move symbols round on the computer.

I like the fact that lighting design packages do your paperwork, but then it don't take long on cad!

pete

I tend to use pen and paper first. I picture the effect or look I want, grab a pencil and draw out the state, then work out where I need fixtures, and what fixtures will achieve that effect.

I will sometimes use WYG to put the plan together, but only if I have a scaled version of the venue already. I wouldnt ever build the venue, as the shows I work on dont warrant the time. If I use WYG, its normally to do some renderings to see if im along the right track.

Have once or twice preplotted a show with WYG perform at work. But it isnt great.

Pen and paper is far quicker and all I need is imagination, not a top of the range PC with £2,000 worth of software.

Regards

Mic

Archived