LX Rig for a studio space

bluejudeto

Hi,

I'm equipping a small 48 way studio space doing music and small theatre gig's. It'll mostly just be me opping so I want to put in some movers to alleviate the ladder climbing thing, LED can washes (let's try to be green) and a mix of 500/650 profile and fresnel/PC lamps. Budget is OK but it's not serious gear territory so;

a. has anyone tried the Thomann movers and LED cans?

b. are they as kack as the price suggests? (the fixed grid is only 4.8metres so I don't need massive output or throw)

c. any suggestions on the theatre lamps?

d. anyone used the ADB eurolight gear? I seem to remember the old stuff being OK

e. any other thoughts?

f. the desk is a Light-palette of some description or other (nobody has told me thus far which one) and not my choice so I hope they're OK?

I'm in Ireland so it's not so easy to get demos of what you want to look at here so any advice is appreciated

Ta

Guy

a. has anyone tried the Thomann movers and LED cans?

b. are they as kack as the price suggests? (the fixed grid is only 4.8metres so I don't need massive output or throw)

c. any suggestions on the theatre lamps?

d. anyone used the ADB eurolight gear? I seem to remember the old stuff being OK

e. any other thoughts?

f. the desk is a Light-palette of some description or other (nobody has told me thus far which one) and not my choice so I hope they're OK?

I'm in Ireland so it's not so easy to get demos of what you want to look at here so any advice is appreciated

Ta

Guy

The merits of cheap movers have been discussed quite a bit here (have a google), as have the LEDs - so here are a few fgairly random comments.

I've got a pile of the Thomann sourced LEDS cans - mostly appear to be Showtec branded. I've also specified them for some school projects.

They aren't cack. - They are a bit soft, ali wise, and the quality control could be better - for what I have bought 2 dodgy ones out of 24, replaced within days. One dead, one had red stuck on.

Quartet Fresnels are still available, and are always a solid choice, while Source 4 juniors might make decent choices for reasonably priced profiles.

ADB has a number of followers, but I'm not that familiar with them.

The light-palettes seem to be getting beter comments recently. Much of the initial concerns were more about the activities centred on the demise of the old UK Strand organsation - time will tell.

Archived