digital crossover

fogg

I am thinking about replacing my crossover with a digital one. Now I havent got the money for a driverack or bss soundweb etc. So I have come across this offering from thomann and was wonderng if anyone here has used one and what the think of it? crossover any feedback would be great. It seems like a good price. oh and all I need is a simple 2 way x-over at the moment but this also looked good for future expansion.

The behringer DCX2496 is certainly a product to look at in this range, IMO it beats such as the DRPA hands down simply due to the DRPA problems with output (a quick search will give you all the details on this).

I think the DCX2496 is a little more expensive at first glace I picked here at random.

One thing to remember is that the DCX2496 is 3 input 6 outputs so gives you room to expand as necessary. I use these units quite often and have never had any problems. Behringer, love em of hate em, you can't complain about this unit for value. Combined with the DEQ2496 it makes a great package, for about the same price as a single DRPA.

Fellow Blueroomer Mr Si. Uses a wireless network setup to control his from FOH with his ASS rig.

Rob

To add to Rob’s reply, I have three of the Behringer DCXs. On the whole they have worked well although I have experienced a single fault with one of them. PA went quiet and when I got to the amp rack the DCX had lost the lcd display (just the back-light glowing) and all the leds on input A and output 1 were dimly glowing. I have re-seated the ribbon cables and it has performed perfectly since. I’ve never had the frying eggs problem.

Sonically I found a significant improvement when I swapped from a dbx analogue crossover.

Following the link from your link Thomann have the Behringer listed at £20 more than DS 2/4 at £166.83

I've had two die on me....

Before both actually did, some very nasty clicking/popping... that and the horrible display tells me:

NEVER AGAIN!

Bought an XTA DP226 and never looked back - you do really get what you pay for!

p.s. just while I noticed J Pearce mention features to money ratio... when I did have mine I ran out of processing power VERY quickly! Did a lot but not at the same time!!!

Before both actually did, some very nasty clicking/popping...

Agreed, it's quite sad that you can't adjust the delay or parametric EQ without getting clicks out as you engage the filters or adjust the timebase on the output. I'm trying to work out why one belonging to an associate has just given up producing anything out of outputs 3-6 at the moment too despite the indicators saying the signal is getting there.

Bought an XTA DP226 and never looked back - you do really get what you pay for!

You really do but that's one heck of a jump and a half. Sure a DR260, Audient One or MiniDrive is rather closer in price albeit still 3-5x rather than 10-12x.

p.s. just while I noticed J Pearce mention features to money ratio... when I did have mine I ran out of processing power VERY quickly! Did a lot but not at the same time!!!

Again I agree this is a limitation of the unit, using plenty of crossovers and a couple of Parametrics and it's all out. Equally though for £200 I wouldn't expect the same processing capabilities as a £2200 unit.

Regards

Chris

Archived