Theatre ('staged') fire alarms

dbuckley

To those folks who have a fire alarm system that can be switched to "performance mode" where the stage manager (or whoever) can hold off an alarm during showtime; could you please post a picture of the control panel? I've got the opportunity to influence a theatre rewire, and this is something I think is obviously a good idea, but I'd like some visual evidence so I don't get dismissed out-of-hand.

Thanks.

Hi David,

I don't have a photo I'm afraid, but we have a Gent system 32020 system here. (Gents are part of Honeywell.) By default this system operates in two stages. We get buzzers and lights backstage first, then a full voice announcement FoH after 90 secs. Our local fire authority are more than happy with this, and it does give us time to ascertain the nature of an alarm call.

I know the system is being upgraded later this year, but I'm afraid I don't know the new model.

Hope this helps a bit!

Neil

Maybe I mistated; It's the panel by the SM I'm interesed in, that has a local indication of fire, and a switch that controls modes, which is almost certainly different to the big panel somewhere with lots of lights on it.

Neil - does yours work with delays even in the middle of the night? Can you cancel the alarm before the 90 secs are up...?

Yes, our alarm always delays the full voice announcement by 90 secs, although the emergency services are automatically contacted at the first stage. We only have a flashing light in prompt corner to alert SM. Responsibility in our venue lies with electrics and the duty manager to establish the location of the fire and then cancel the alarm if needed.

Buzzers sound and lights flash in all work / admin areas, so staff can evacuate immediately. It is only the public areas that have a delayed alarm.

If its any use I'm sure I could dig out our evacuation procedures for you !!!

I don't have a picture... But Repeater panels for fire alarm systems are quite common.

My previous venue (as of today! ;) ) has a repeater by the stage managers desk stage right (there are others around the building) It has a small LCD display as well as some status LED's. During an alarm it shows the number of the detector triggered and its location (often rather crypticaly).

You get 2 minutes before the Alarm actually sounds and the Fire Brigade get called regardless. But that mode needs to be manualy enabled from the main panel with a keyswitch on a timer (along with a theatrical smoke mode)

Archived