Looking for black screen

dbuckley

Looking for the sort of material to make a black projection screen I can rear project onto, so with projector blanked I get a black screen. This is for a scenery projection application.

Apologies folks,I know its been mentioned proviously by I cant find a query that finds it...

Rosco do a black rear projection screen material as per THIS PAGE on their website. I've used it in the past and it was fine. I believe ECT also do an RP screen, but I've never used their version.

As for suppliers, can't help you in NZ! Anyway, I'm not speaking to you since you saw Roger Waters and bragged again about your Metcal in the same week! :rolleyes:

Edit to say I've checked and ECT do indeed have a similar product...but only in a 2.7 metre width according to the catalogue I found...so it'll depend on the size you need which brand is most suitable.

Bob

Like black silk stretched out over some wood and stapled? That is probably what I would do

Although you would get a small amount of light passing through this, Black silk would not be a very suitable material due to its high opacity. Various screen manufacturing companies can supply a high-contrast rear projection material which although it looks near-black when not projected upon, gives a vivid picture from rear projection. try Rosco, Harkness etc.

Thanks all. Goit a bit of a shock when looking at the Rosco black screen; transmission = 6% :D Thats like Lee 180 territory. I'd need a video projector with a carbon arc to get through that, so it may be I need to scale back my ideas to something that isn't actually impermeable to light... Or perhaps bag an old Eidophor projector, I wonder if any actually made it out here.... hmmm...

But it's pointed me in some right directions, so thanks all.

And Bob - if the Metcal makes you go a tadge green, imagine what putting your hands on my Lecroy scope will do for your colour temperature :D

Have you had a look at the Gerriets projection screens? There is a datasheet here and just for comparison, a datasheet for a similar white one.

I have some small samples of the stuff (approx. 30cm x 30cm) somewhere and about 20 years old. PM me if you would like to borrow them for testing.

[OT Moment]

Oh, I have to disagree with you about Roger Waters, I saw the show two days earlier in Sydney and was utterly disappointed. I thought the lighting was cr@p, but maybe the operator was just having an off-day, it sounded OK but overall it was all a bit sad. Guess the wind also kept the astronaut and pig grounded but rest assured, you didn't miss much. The pig actually failed in Sydney and landed on the first few rows which caused a lot of panic among security guards and a rather frantic operator.

[/OT Moment]

Oh, I have to disagree with you about Roger Waters, I saw the show two days earlier in Sydney and was utterly disappointed. I thought the lighting was cr@p, but maybe the operator was just having an off-day

I'd lay serious money you saw exactly what I saw, given the degree of pre-programming involved in the sort of show that is syncronised 100% to a video screen, and that has been on the road (albeit with breaks) for a considerable time, but that you perceived it very differently to me. That is what makes this crazy stuff we all do so worthwhile and fun, it's art not science...

If I've read the screen bumf right, for back projection at small angles from "straight on", then around 40% of the light gets through, which is somewhat better.

Archived