La Maitre effects

Luis

The problem I have with the Le Maitre controllers is that you get very little in terms of value for money. If you were going to start modifying one or adding custom switches to the system it really isn't much more work to build an entire system and it would certainly cost a lot less.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi guys,

I've build a fair few systems for letting off fireworks, so a couple of things to note about the parallel vs series wiring:

Parallel is a real current drain.. Ignitors are very low resistance, doing some tests recently the ignitors we use were drawing 7amps (@12v) for around 5ms to fire.. you start putting more in parallel the current draw can be huge.. However we have fired 20 ignitors in parallel spread over 100m before now off a 12v battery with no real problems..

Series wiring is good for continuity testing, HOWEVER, you must use ignitors of the same brand and type.. otherwise you might find that one ignitor blows and goes open circuit before the others have fired.. for us this is easy because we only use one type of ignitor, however if your using stage pyro and have premade units you can't gurantee different effects have the same type of ignitor in them..

rgds

chris

Series wiring is good for continuity testing, HOWEVER, you must use ignitors of the same brand and type.. otherwise you might find that one ignitor blows and goes open circuit before the others have fired.. for us this is easy because we only use one type of ignitor, however if your using stage pyro and have premade units you can't gurantee different effects have the same type of ignitor in them...
LeMaitre changed their igniters back in March 2005. The new devices are very much faster acting than previously and so if you mix effects in series the older, slower, devices are likely to fail to fire. AFAIK shelf life is several years so you may find that a batch of pyro may still contain either older or newer ignitors. New ignitors are identified by a lot number beginning with the letter "M". See LeMaitre info.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst we are here, I am also building a pyro controller, though this time as a uni project. Just wondering, does anyone have documentation of the currents required to fire an LM pyro? just need something I can quote as a reliable source, but can't find anything on the LM website.

Cheers

Sam Jelfs

• 2 weeks later...
Whilst we are here, I am also building a pyro controller, though this time as a uni project. Just wondering, does anyone have documentation of the currents required to fire an LM pyro? just need something I can quote as a reliable source, but can't find anything on the LM website.

Cheers

Sam Jelfs

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.lemaitreltd.com/prostage2/docs/Igniters.pdf

Archived