Followspot Operator Protection

Dj Dunc

Hi, just wondering for all the f/s operators out there, what sort of gloves they use, as I havent been able to find any decent ones that dont melt or are heat resistant.

Also any other advice on f/s operating as I have two for a panto, and no I'm not operating both on the night, :stagecrew: even though they are within 1m of eachother, so only opping both in rehersals ;)

many thanks

Duncan

If you don't need great manual dexterity :stagecrew: try looking at welding gauntlets. They are normally quite heat resistant and cover your wrists properly. (mine cost me about £6)

Of course a decent followspot doesn't need you to wear gloves.... but never mind that!

Beyond that look at the setware heat resistant gloves.

Edit:

Oh, make sure the ballance is right. fit spring washers to the locks if they dont have them. Spray on PTFE (teflon) can help make the friction locks smoother. And check that the spiggot is actually a ballrace type. Make sure the stand is as level as you can manage, even a tiny error can be very noticeable. Powdered graffite for sticky Irises. You may find making a sight out of bits of wire helps with aiming, you might not need it, its mostly personal preference. And finally, practice, especially doing rapid colour changes between snap black outs/ins (thats something my op's really had trouble with, mostly due to not having dimmers at the time, looong story.)

But mostly its about getting it setup for yourself.

I was pondering the very point which Andrew has already raised - why do you need protective gloves to operate your followspot? If it's getting too hot for you to operate bare-handed, then either your follow-spots are missing some pretty vital components (handles), or you're not holding on to the right bits!

They are CCT (model is 3 numbers but cant remember which). They have a handle at the back and one at the side, but only about a few cm from the casing which is bloody close to the lamp, as operating completely around the side is not possible. (village hall W.I panto) (at least I have long arms and can reach the colour changer.

Dunc

EDIT: They are the CCT Pursuit Condenser Followspot according to their website, both followspots are the same, with a colour magazine and iris, with no barndoors, and their own dimmer.

Shutters, barndoors(!), whatever. The fact is, the Pursuit is a fixture that's designed specifically for use as a followspot, it has handles in all the right places, and it should be possible to operate it without the need for protective gloves. If it isn't, then either one or more of the handles is missing or incorrectly fitted, or you're doing something wrong.

Guest lightnix

What gareth said.

If it's a "proper" followspot, then you shouldn't need gloves to operate it. If you do, then get a different followspot (or operator, depending...).

Never had a problem with the Selecon's, the handles seem to stay pretty cool on those :stagecrew:

However, the Strand ones I used to use did get pretty warm, and at the time we sourced some fairly tough gloves, that helped. They didn't solve the problem 100% but still, helped ;)

I'm lumbered with some Pani followspots (don't understand what people see in the things myself, its like buying old pattXX stuff instead of S4/PAC )

Lovely and new, yet the handle that runs around the back of the unit gets very hot. (don't quite need gloves, but close) the points where the handle is attached to the body get really hot. And the controls for the iris and shutters get REALLY hot.

A good quality follow spot won't leave you needing to buy gloves no, but an ancient design or one of those pi*h converted regular profile types (as apposed to a dedicated design) may well leave your hands millimeters from stupidly burny hot metal.

The biggest problem, and the reason I don't bother with gloves is the loss of dexterity and the fact that you can often no longer fit your hand between handle and lantern.

The followspots I opearted at school (This was a fair few years ago) used to have cool handles but they were VERY close to hot metal. Lovely and smooth though,much better than some lycians I had from a large lighting co quite recently.

They were definetly strand and definetly old!

I still have a faint burn scar on my forearm from brushing against the corner of the casing on a SuperTrouper last Edinburgh Festival. Great spots (although heavy), but why put the controls on the top - the hottest part of the unit?

Archived