Harness

Light Console

Hi all, I think its time I got myself a harness, preferable a full body? one so that I would remain inside if I went A over T!

So:

Full body,

Shock absorber and fall arrester (we had something looking like a seat belt in the Rose Theatre at Uni)

Scaff clamp/claw

anything else,

Any recomendations, I am looking at the Petzl catalogue at the moment, but is there anything better that you would recomend?

Cheers,

Rob.

Guest lightnix

I'm not a rigger/climber, but I'm sure a full body harness is a must these days. Don't forget your "mountaineering" helmet either, a hard hat is not suitable for climbing. I'm sure there are all sorts of bits and pieces you will need. When I did climb (about 10 years ago) I also carried the following bits and pieces...

A pulley

Various strops & caribiners

A chalk bag to hold the above

50m climbing rope

50m hauling rope

Fingerless gloves

a "figure of eight" type descender

Most importantly these days, you need to be able to demonstrate your competence to climb, which will involve doing some kind of training, although I don't know which course to recommend. Also remember that, if you are a freelancer, your insurance will need to cover working at height.

Arco often have some good deals on fall arrest kit. RS is also worth a look.

Obviously you need a proper full-body harness for fall arrest - NOT a recreational climbing harness.

The only other thing would be a good plan to get down when you're dangling beneath the grid...

I knew it! There is more to it than I thought. I am not planning to go mountainering, but I understand the need for those bits, I was think more along the lines of being on a scissorlift or tallescope and clamping myself to rig or mounting point on scissorlift.

Like this

The only other thing would be a good plan to get down when you're dangling beneath the grid...
:rolleyes: Bet it has happened though!

Will follow lines of enquiry and seek their advice. :blink:

Guest lightnix

I'm sure there's plenty more I've missed, but once again, if you're going to drive a scissor lift (or any form of powered access equipment) you will need a ticket. I believe that training usually takes about 1-2 days and costs about £100 per piece of kit.

You could always try calling a rigging company and seeing what advice they have to offer.

I'd suggest getting trained properly, if you're not, as theres more to fall arrest than wearing a harness and tying the other end to something.

As a simple example, have you considered what you may attach yourself too - although you may have a mass of less than 100Kg, when that falls, to stop it can require quite a large force. I'm not convinced a scaff clamp would be a suitable anchor point, nor necessary what you attach it too. - Falling and dragging a bar down on top of you is probably not overly healthy:)

Also, it can be important exactly what sort of fall arrest device you use in a particular situations and how proceedures for proper maintainance. - As people say I'd seek professional advice.

When I was at Uni, we had a fixed grid with walkways and wire rope around which you clipped onto. The cheif electrician had hooks that he could clamp to the welded bars that made the rig, not scaff. He had two big clamps a bit like captian hook size caribiner, not sure about the rest, hence my questions. It was more versitile than the others on the rope as he could access the hard to reach spots. It was really that I was asking about. The Scissor lift is an example of another use I could see in the future.

I guess from all of this I am not ready for it, and will leave it till I need to get one, in a new theatre job, when they get around to building it that is!

Thanks for all your help, I aggree get the training first!

Hello Light Console, Who was your chief lx?

Re; the clamps your chief was using they would be scaff hooks, you generally are required to have two of these if climbing truss etc, and I personally find it a good idea to use two for situations like while on the nipple or donut in the rose ( for an example venue ) if you have to hang out from the grid further than most others do...

It maybe worth speaking to Lyon Euipment ( petzl distributors ) regarding what you should have for the situation your in, they know what they can sell you to provide your safe. They were very helpful when we ordered harnesses for work.

The only other thing is that unless you need it now, ie you need it for a specific job now or in the forseeable future, then hold off until you need it as technically harnesses have a limited life ( something like 3years? before they have to be re-certified )

Have fun

Hi Colin,

I had read some time ago that there was limited life, but will contact Lyon. It is very much the situation like the Rose, but infrequently, so I don't need to have the harness at the moment.

I am refering to the scaff hooks, they are what appeal to me, so versitile!

Rob

As an employee, it is your employers responsibility to supply any safety equipment necessary for you do your job (Students are normally treated as employees for this purpose). It is your responsibility to use it properly - your employer should ensure that you know how to (Train you). If you use your own kit and it is faulty, you will not have any come-back.

If they have not supplied the equipment and trained you how to use it, tha answer is simple, refuse to work at height! More precisely, condust your own risk assessment and if you consider there to be a real risk of falling more than 2 metres, insist on the kit or do not do the work.

As a student member of the ABTT, I am sure you are aware of their courses and awards scheme. One in particular would be of use in this area -"Fall Arrest Safety Training".

Introduction: A one-day course intended as an introduction for those working at height in the entertainment industry. Objectives: The course will cover basic theory and best practice for using personal protective equipment for working at heights. The course includes legal responsibilities as well as an understanding of the techniques and equipment to enable technicians to work safely at height.

If you are in any doubt - consult a qualified person.

Just to Clarify, Rose Bruford College supplies Fall Arrest Harnesses, and all additonal PPE including Hard Hats and saftey Net whilst working in the Rose Theatre at Height, also the use of Harnesses is Enforced by Students as well as Tutors and Venue Technicians. There is a catenery Wire running throughout the Roof for Harnesses to Clip onto and these are tested independently regularly!

Archived