Yamaha MD8 multitrack

dominicgross

hey again,

I've got hold of an MD8 do do some recording for the next few weeks. The band in question is 2 guitars, bass and drums.

My one niggle is that the inputs and outputs (apart from channels 1 and 2) and all unbalanced.

For live stuff when im plugging up to a bigger FOH desk this is fine, but will it cause problems when I want to record in a proper enviroment.

I would like to overdub record, as all the inputs are unbalanced would I be better to record on channels 1 + 2 then dump them to other channels?

My other problem is that the inputs are all jacks, so can I just use adapters with no problems?

one more thing: all outputs use phono plugs, can I make up an adapter box with no problems, and what are the pin layouts for phono plugs.

Thanks loads.

EDIT: I guess what I'm really asking is is it possible to put a microphone or balanced source into an unbalanced input without gaining noise? Is their such thing as a balancer for this type of application?

the BSS AR204 is just one example

Thats the exact thing I'm looking for, but something alot cheeper would be good. (unless Paul @ 10/10 wants to lend me one for a couple of weeks?)

The idea is not only to use it for recording, but for limited live stuff aswell.

Am I correct in thinking that if I put the desk into rehearsal mode I can just output live? (or can I just plug and play?)

The idea is not only to use it for recording, but for limited live stuff aswell.

Am I correct in thinking that if I put the desk into rehearsal mode I can just output live? (or can I just plug and play?)

I have an MD8 I use at home and to answer the points you have raised:

For recording if the mic leads aren't massively long you could get away with using an XLR to Jack adaptor lead but make sure it is electronically grounded (ie the cold connected to the screen via a 120 Ohm resistor)

One way to avoid adaptors is to use the MD8 with another balanced mixer with 8 groups or even direct outputs. That way you get a better EQ and it's all balanced.

When using the MD8 as a live desk (which you can) you should remember that the unit is basically two things, a mixer, with a minidisc attached. Should you want to just use the mixer bit, you can and you won't have to touch any of the recording section to do it. As you put it Dom, just plug and play. Connect your inputs, connect your outputs and away you go.

Archived