Shepherds Bush Empire

Guest steve113

Guest steve113

an old classic.

not been down there for some years.

I am attempting to pre-design a rig for the last leg of a tour down there [for quoting purposes]. does anyone know what lighting technical specs is has? Siyan has semi-permanent installations of some of these venues, but I can't remember which, and I havn't done the Empire for a while. a google search provides nothing.

I would please like some info on the rig, if there is one and likewise with the desk. If somone has info on power it would too be great. we have not contacted the venue yet as we are still at quoting stage and I dont want to hassle if the gig doesn't go ahead.

thanks

edit, sorry, I just found a PDF. But any tips in relibility of kit etc would be great

http://www.academy-music-group.co.uk/brochures/empire.pdf

From the PDF: Stage Depth 9.85m Width 15.5m height 72.5cm. That's an awfully low trim height.......

surely

STAGE:

Depth 9.85m (8.5m to proscenium

arch),Width 15.5m Height 72.5cm

Proscenium Arch Height 9m Width 9m

Would suggest that the 72.5 cm was referring to the actual height of the stage, and not the trim height.

Guest steve113
From the PDF: Stage Depth 9.85m Width 15.5m height 72.5cm. That's an awfully low trim height.......

is that not obvious? where does it mention trim height? if you read it properly it says the STAGE

it would say TRIM HEIGHT or BEAM HEIGHT or MAX RIGGING HEIGHT or similar if it was. it makes perfect sense to me.

Right I hope I can help with this.....

This is from last year when I took in the Empire with Electric Light Orchestra (Part 2)

There are 4 ACL bars across the back of the rig, a fairly hefty, kick arse Par 64 rig with a fair selection of colours. 5 or 6 Source four profiles across the front truss. There are 6 Robe Colorspot 1200ATs and a Diamond 4 Elite for control. They have a small DMX desk in the dimmer line with a bunch of faders on several pages, this is a backup for the generics but also allows you to run blocks of colour off of that and intelligents off of the Avo, seems bizarre at first but kind of works when you get used to it (note. you can use the Avo for generics if you like (I did)). I think there may have been four Goldenscans across the back truss. There is a decent hazer, I think you have to use theirs rather than yours, which for me was great as mine was duff by London. The 4 Mac500s on the floor are mine, not part of the venues kit.

That's about it really, there were a few other bits floating around but seemed to be broken and not in use, such as Goldenscans etc.

Access to the rig is via a truss ladder on stage and climbing from one of the boxes front of house, not ideal (and I really don't want to start the truss safety argument here).

Hope this all helps you, any more questions, give me a shout, email may be the best.

Dave

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/hughesy51/IMG_0086.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/hughesy51/IMG_0080.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/hughesy51/IMG_0083.jpg

Guest steve113

thank you Dave.

by your spec, am I to assume that the PDF document is incorrect and has none of the Cyberlights or the Goldscan IIs although I can see at least two scans on the rig at the back? The PDF emplies that there are about 10 scans on the back of the box, another 2 on each side and 4 on the front.

is the truss motorised? by the looks of it I need to bring about 12 macs with me. I will be touring a desk, so it shoudln't be too much extra worry.

thanks

Common guys - if you are doing a budget, relying on dodgy info will really make your figures suck - if you are a serious hirer then just email them and ask for proper info as in, lighting@shepherds-bush-empire.co.uk

never assume that things shown in a pciture are permanent - they could all be hired in, and some web site info is amazingly out of date.

You need REAL plans and specs to even begin to get a budget together.

Guest steve113

Paul please see my origional post. theres a lot going on at the Empire and the last thing they need is for me to hassle them. its always a good idea to get info from people like Dave, who work on a regular basis in venues like these rather than be given a 'spec' where the kit on it is ####ed.

I have a good idea of the truss layout, pars etc it would just be good to know a rough spec of the working [or not] moving lights etc.

I did get through to the SM, who implied that the PDF was correct, I wanted to crack on with the quotes this weekend, hence the fact I did not wait until next week.

Sorry guys, should have mentioned that I was doing a UK tour with ELO therefore did actually do my research, ie. ring the venue, get the plans, speak to the guy who would be pre-rigging it for me. Also, I've worked for the venue since as a freelance lighting tech and the rig hadn't changed. The lighting guy at the venue is called Dave Trounce and I have his mobile number and email, I'll let you have them if you ask. The install was carried by a company I do some work for, again, ask and I'll give you their details.

I'm sure that if the OP is serious about this job then he will pick up the telephone and call them, he may have already, but this is a good place to ask for info from people who actually go to these venues and experience them from the visiting companies point of view. A point of view I'm sure many will agree can often be very different from what the tech specs say. I'm just providing all the info that I can as it appears the PDF supplied is a little out of date in terms of the fixtures available. I know the Robes and the Diamond were brand new when I visited.

Sorry, Dave

not been down there for some years.

I am attempting to pre-design a rig for the last leg of a tour down there [for quoting purposes]. does anyone know what lighting technical specs is has? and I havn't done the Empire for a while.

I would please like some info on the rig, if there is one and likewise with the desk.

If somone has info on power ...

we have not contacted the venue yet as we are still at quoting stage

and I dont want to hassle if the gig doesn't go ahead.

just found a PDF. But any tips in relibility of kit etc would be great

Well, I took this from your original post.

You don't actually know much to start with and have vague memories. The pdf has some info in it, but has also generated quite a few queries.

For some reason you don't want to hasle them? If you are planning on giving them money, then they are quite happy to discuss everythibng with you = don't forget you also need contractual terms agreed too - has anyone said useagge of their kit is free? How about crew? How many free, how much for the rest. Without this info you are not in a position to budget anything. You've said this is prep work, and the gig might not happen. Well getting money and kit sorted seems kind of high on the priority list to me.

having the SM imply the pdf is correct is quite worrying.

Anyway, you asked the questions, and got the answers - your choice if you blow away are advice - but once you sign the deal, it doesn't matter if your sums were wrong, they get your money! You know the old addage "assume makes an ass out of u and me"

Paul

thank you Dave.

by your spec, am I to assume that the PDF document is incorrect and has none of the Cyberlights or the Goldscan IIs although I can see at least two scans on the rig at the back? The PDF emplies that there are about 10 scans on the back of the box, another 2 on each side and 4 on the front.

is the truss motorised? by the looks of it I need to bring about 12 macs with me. I will be touring a desk, so it shoudln't be too much extra worry.

thanks

They have a square of 12" box truss overstage on four Lodestars with load arrestors installed. They also have a GP front truss, also on installed hoists. They still have the selection of Goldenscans, Cybers and Colourspots.

HTH

Paul please see my origional post. theres a lot going on at the Empire and the last thing they need is for me to hassle them. its always a good idea to get info from people like Dave, who work on a regular basis in venues like these rather than be given a 'spec' where the kit on it is ####ed.

Asking for accurate information for a professional job isn't "hassle". The theatre will earn money if your show books to go in there and will be quite used to handling your sort of query.

Information from previous users can be handy but never considered definitive. On the other hand, an official document from the theatre can form part of an eventual contract/rider.

Bob

Archived