Advise on PC audio interface

snippet

Hi ya ,hope this is the right place to post this

I need to upgrade my soundcard from the outdated creative soundblaster

platinum one I have now(with live drive 2-midi in/out-audio jack in etc) and

I am onsidering purchasing an audio interface to use with emagic logic 5.5 software on my

pc(rather than going over to pro tools with mbox 2).

I have a couple of interfaces that I am considering- e-mu 1616m pci,

focusrite saffire or forewire 1814.

I considered the audigy 2 platinum pro but it sounds too similar to what I

already have.

I am having problems with my current set up and think a change is overdue.

I record vocals, guitar, plus keyboards and drums(sometime via an akai

3200xl sampler).

Its very much a home set up but I would like to improve the overall sound of

instruments and mix(very noisy at the mo) to sound good on radio/cd etc.

The set up I have is :-

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Dell Computer

Corporation PowerEdge 400SC

Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

8 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell

Bus Clock: 533 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 01/15/2004

Drives Memory Modules c,d

245.87 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

150.48 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

DVDRW DRW-6S160P [CD-ROM drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6B160P0 [Hard drive] (163.92 GB) -- drive 1

Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0 1024 Megabytes Installed

Memory

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 81.95 GB 62.29 GB free

d: (NTFS on drive 1) 163.92 GB 88.20 GB free

I know its a matter of personal opinion but what would you recommend as far

as audio interfaces???

I am favouring the e-mu 1616m as it will replace my pci soundcard.

Thanks muchly

I can personally recommend the EMU, though I believe the Focusrite would probably be equally good. Either one should provide a significant improvement over anything from the Soundblaster range. Soundblaster makes a fine gamers card, but are very poor for any serious recording work.

Based on personal experience, I'd guess you'll probably have a noise floor of around -65dB with either of the Soundblasters you mention; the change to EMU or Focusrite should get you to in the area of -85 to -90dB which will certainly be audible. (Edit to say, it's the IMPROVEMENT you'll find audible, not the noise floor! :) )

I'm not a Logic user (Audition and Sonar here) but, having used Protools a lot at work, I suspect you'd actually find a move in that direction a backwards step. In terms of sound, facilities and UI, there are many things out there better than Protools. In my opinion, the only reason to move in that direction is a possible need to compability with other studios where Protools is a defacto standard. Unless this is a consideration, stick with what you know.

Bob

I'd recommend looking at M Audio devices, especially the Delta 1010.

Another point is as you have 2 hard drives in your PC, It could be an advantage to make your first hard drive (drive 0) 81GB, your operating system / software drive, and wipe (drive 1) 163Gb drive, and use it for audio only.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be looking into those suggestions.

Excuse my naivity in relation to audio interfaces but one thing that concerns me is the fact that all suggestions mean I would still have the same creatvice soundblaster soundcard in my pc (with exception of the e-mu 1616m) and thus still have 'sound' issues.

Or do these interfaces act completely seperately from the soundcard?

Do I need to update my soundcard and have an external audio interface available ie ,if I went for something like the focusrite saffire, wouldn't I also need to change my soundcard?

Thanks again

Snippet

These interfaces (in reality just another soundcard) normally act completely independently of your existing one. You should be able to leave your SB installed alongside the new one.

Usually, Windows sounds, etc. will keep going through the existing soundcard. As for your audio production software, if Logic is anything like the Audition and Sonar I use, you will have a set up menu that detects both sound cards and allows you to assign which one you want to use and, for multitrack use, which hardware inputs go to which track. I can't be more specific because every system is slightly different. However, between your existing software and the installation you do when you buy the new soundcard, all should become clear.

Bob

Thanks Bobbsy

That helps as I am favouring the emu 1616mpci and thus would get a new soundcard with it anyway but if I decided to go for the focurite saffire I had wondered whether I needed to seperately buy a new soundcard as well so thats good.

I've looked at the other suggestions mentioned here and though interesting I would like to stay with logic methinks (rulling out mbox's) and I like the idea of an external control box over just a soundcard and rather than the internal drive I currently have if that makes sense.

I also have to take into account the cost as I am no longer a professional musician but a guy doing his thing at home.

Snippet

The only snags with multiple soundcards were whn you tried to have a number of pci cards on the go together - this was always a pain, but most people = me included got them to work eventually. Having external dedicated 'proper' units via usb2 (or whatever) seems to be much less of a problem. I am using Soundscape modules that have a pci card and then ribbon cable to the audio units. This is fine, but does do odd things - when I try to install Adobe Audition, it detects the internal sound card I still have in the machine, and turns off the soundscape units. It is happy with Sony Soundforge - so hence my preference for editors. I'm sure it's a simple solution, but I'm not prepared to fiddle as it's pretty stable.

Good point about multiple soundcards Paulears.

I'd really just like to take this creative one out as I am presently having problems with it since the pc has been upgraded.

I have the latest drivers but sound constantly breaks up and midi and audio don't sync properly. I think its really a gamers card that is past its best anyway

I just need to check whether my system would be compatable with a card/interface like the 1616m-Im running windows xp pro(sp pack 2)- 2 hard drives 160gb and 80gb.

1 gb of memory and another 1 gb that I have ready if needed.

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

8 kilobyte primary memory cache

512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz

Controllers Display

Standard floppy disk controller

Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers (2x)

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]

Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0T2408

Bus Clock: 533 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05

Anyone using an emu-1616m or 1820m and know whether my system has the right compatability?

Thanks

One warning folks.

This could turn into a PC discusssion very easily, and the BR isn't the place for that - however, the question is about sound.

If the sound breaks up the usual reason is that the audio data stream isn't contiguous - The common cause being windows background tasks taking over and running something housekeeping wise that interupts what should have been continuous audio. This kind of thing often requires the computer to buffer the stream and this creates a time delay.

If I were you, I'd go to SOS who have a pretty good forum dedicated to music problems, and many articles about exactly what you're doing. Lots of tweaks are there for you to try too. However, they ALWAYS stress getting a machine working on audio means no games, no daft software, no MSN/Yahoo and definately no work in the background software.

I'll second paulears caution about the direction this thread may be going, but say that a 2.4GHz processor and 1 (or 2) gig of RAM should be more than sufficient for most audio work. Obviously, the number of tracks in use, real-time effects, etc, all affect performance but my instincts are you should be fine.

As paulears recommends, for detailed discussions of specific software, it's worth trying the SOS link above, or perhaps the HOME RECORDING BBS?

FYI, I've not had the same problems Paul mentions with multiple sound cards...perhaps I'm just lucky because it sure isn't computer skill! One caution I WOULD make is that you should try not to be tempted to try recording with two different sound cards at the same time...sync problems are likely. (Do I sound like I've tried this?) However, since the object of this exercise is to stop using the SB, then I assume this isn't an issue.

Bob

Thanks guys for your kind advice.

Apologies that the thread has been going off subject, my question was about sound and your help is really making a difference to my 'sound' choices, I'll watch what I discuss in the future.

I'll check out the other forums as suggested.

Can I just wish all at Blue Room a happy new year and thanks again for your assistance.

Oh and I'll let you know how I get on after I make a purchase in the near future

Snippet

Hi guys

I have an extended sound query if thats ok.

I have been looking about and came across this natty little unit by Echo-the Gina 3G http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/4729 and I wondered if anyone would recommend it.

As I only ever record myself(either semi acoustic guitar or vocal) I thought this would be perfect.

It seems easy to use and though not the top of the range it must be an improvement on my existing set up(Listen to the tunes on my web page and you'll know what I mean- http://www.myspace.com/snippetcuts ).

As it comes in at about a hundred pounds under the emu 1616m it will leave me a little spare to buy a new vocal microphone( maybe somethjing like a Rode).

What d'ya reckon?

I have no personal experience with the Gina 3G, but I can tell you that the original Gina (and, indeed, most Echo Labs products) were thought of as some of the best sound cards out there.

The feature set between the Gina and the E-MU 1616 are somewhat different and only you can decide if the Gina has what you need. However, assuming you decide it does, Echo has a very good reputation.

As for microphones, a bit of Googling will find you lots of reviews and recommendations for home studio work, likely in different forums since the BR is more attuned to live work than studio stuff. Rode make very good mics and I own a couple; other "economy but good" LDC mics you should audition would be the Studio Projects and SE Electronics ranges. As always the best advice is to try before you buy to see what suits your needs best.

Bob

Archived