fly tower

paul freeman

I'm doing a project on fly towers. Can anyone recommend a website or book that can help me? I'm trying to explain (and understand myself), in simple terms, how a fly tower works. I bought the book 'Theatre engineering and stage machinery' which is good, but it doesn't have the annotated drawing plans and sections that I need.

Also is there anyone working in a theatre that could show me the fly tower, or the scenery workshop? within a 100 miles or so of Brighton.

I have been trying, with no luck so far, to get allowed backstage into many different theatres. I guess it's too busy during panto.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also is there anyone working in a theatre that could show me the fly tower, or the scenery workshop? within a 100 miles or so of Brighton.

Theatre Royal Brighton may be a good place to contact... although I beleve they are a hemp house, so maybe not quite what you need?

Theatre Royal are indeed a hemp house, and have developed an effective, but in many ways unique, method of working. If you're looking to see an example of a modern counterweight (or even powered) flying system, it probably isn't the best place to visit.

Why not give Glyndebourne Opera House a try? They're just up the road from Brighton, they have an extensive counterweight installation as well as various odds and ends of powered lifting equipment, and they're 'between seasons' there at the moment and therefore pretty quiet.

You could give Chris Wilcox (technical manager) of the Hawth Theatre in Crawley a shout. I'm sure he would arrange a look around for you.

thanks, I'll give that a go

Theatre Royal Brighton may be a good place to contact... although I beleve they are a hemp house, so maybe not quite what you need?

I've tried the theatre royal, they're panto'd up. thanks anyway

Theatre Royal are indeed a hemp house, and have developed an effective, but in many ways unique, method of working. If you're looking to see an example of a modern counterweight (or even powered) flying system, it probably isn't the best place to visit.

Why not give Glyndebourne Opera House a try? They're just up the road from Brighton, they have an extensive counterweight installation as well as various odds and ends of powered lifting equipment, and they're 'between seasons' there at the moment and therefore pretty quiet.

I'll try that one, cheers..

being panto'd up - to me suggests maybe the contact didn't go quite as well as you thought. In the middle of panto isn't hugely busy - everyone has got used to the system and the work load actually goes down as it beds down into a stream of resets and a tech manager or other senior person could easily show you around - if, you came accross as someone worth putting yourself out for.

My panto, I've had quite a few visitors. One was a 6' 5" Royal Marine who asked if he could watch how people did things backstage. He knew when to be 'invisible' noticed a space in the wings was about to become 'not a space' - all that kind of stuff, and was no trouble at all. I've agreed a Uni student can come and take photos backstage as part of a 3rd year photography project, and even had one guy stand behind our sound op for a couple of shows as he asked nicely and was interested. In most cases, you simply let people know what the 'stranger' is doing and they (like our sound op) are pleased to have the chance to show outsiders what they actually do.

We had a 92 year old lady want to have her picture taken on one of the large Cottage trucks and the crew quite happily reset it and then put it away again - good lot here in Plymouth. It all depends on what it is.

I found the Hall .pdf hard to follow, because all the lines are the same weight and color. You might try two textbooks that are so famous over here that they might be in a UK library, by A.S. Gilette and by Burris-Meyer and Cole. They have excellent drawings.

Be sure to investigate complex uses of the fly tower, like permanent fire curtains with dual-releases, dashpots and stop chains. There's also ganging arbors and variable loads (like flying a person) to consider. And get to see a chain-hoist show in a theater with a grid.

we're 5 minutes walk from London Bridge Station, (handy for the Brighton Line) and have an interesting flytower solution using CW (singles and doubles) hemp and electric chainhoist. PM me if you're interested in a little look round.

Does this drawing help?

http://www.eastanglianradio.com/counterweights.jpg

I drew this a year or two ago - for some odd reason, I put the rope locks at stage level (where they are in my venue) - in many installtions they are up out of harms way, only workable by people on the fly floor.

Hi Paul,

On your 'double purchase' drawing, you've drawn the handling line as a single purchase one - ie: connected directly to the top and bottom of the counterweight cradle. Is this what you have in your venue?

Usually, the handling line is also double purchase - ie: it runs over a pulley at the top and bottom of the cradle, and is anchored at the top and bottom of its travel. This means that the handling line moves at the same speed as the flying bar (with the arrangement you've drawn it moves at the same speed as the cradle - 1/2 the speed of the flown piece) and also gives the flyman a bit more leverage to get things moving (and stop them again) than he would otherwise have.

Sean

x

Archived