Small Venue

mark_s

Does anyone know of a suitable venue of about 200 capacity for a band night-type event? Ideally, it wouldn't cost much to hire, as we don't have a large budget for the event. The Global cafe at Newcastle University Student Union was recommended - I don't suppose anyone has had any experience of there? Or can recommend somewhere more suitable?

Regards, Mark

Does anyone know of a suitable venue of about 200 capacity for a band night-type event? Ideally, it wouldn't cost much to hire, as we don't have a large budget for the event. The Global cafe at Newcastle University Student Union was recommended - I don't suppose anyone has had any experience of there? Or can recommend somewhere more suitable?

Regards, Mark

Mark - Are you interested in venues in SW London as I might be able to recomend a couple?

James

If it's the centre of Newcastle, try the Cooperage, on the quayside, It's a really nice historical venue ( one of the oldest buildings in Newcastle), BUT the unfortunate thing is it's a third floor (stairs) load in. They have (I think) their own installed sound system which is fairly decent ( although the sound engineer appears to be a grumpy old s0d.

But to add to your question, what is your area span?, Sunderland has some excellent venues, try Bar Pure The White room or the Music rooms ( EXCELLENT sound system, although ancient, it is powered by an A&H GL2200 and Crown + QSC power amps).

EDIT - PM sent

Mark - Are you interested in venues in SW London as I might be able to recomend a couple?

James

Just Newcastle I'm afraid. It's for a band night that is being organised by our student union, so I think travelling down to London might be out of the question <_<

Edit:

Preferably something in the town-centre, or in Gosforth/Jesmond at a stretch.

The global is a good choice the alcohol is cheap being a student venue and if you get Mr Barry Turbo to do the sound you will get a great sound in that venue.

The cluny is not a bad place either, but a bit more off the beaten path.

Either would be good venue for a band night

Pm me if you need more info

If it's being organised by the students union, then surely the best place to use would be the union's own venue(s)?

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear in my post. I mean the 6th form student union is organising it, and we no longer have a venue - they bricked up the stage in my school over the summer holidays, and they won't let us host the event in the hall due to concerns over security.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :huh:

I used to work for Northern Stage, which is just across from the Newcastle University Union buildings.... have you considered contacting them regarding their studio space, and/or the old bar area. All are kitted out for a variety of events, and have decent capacities....

Check out their website on www.northernstage.com for contact info

Archived