Jands Event 24

tokm

Hi all,

bit of a long shot here, but does anyone have, or know of an OLE for a Jands Event 24.. or the 48, or whatever the name of the software they run is.

I doubt one exists, just I'm having to use one next week :stagecrew: and I was wondering if I could sort out patching and similar before hand, as the desk won't have the optional VDU card, which makes it all horrible to work on (in past experience's).

Tired the Jands support page's but they only revealed manuals and fixture profile editors.

Thanks.

Tom

even if you could do the patch and program the subs before hand how exactly would you get this into the desk ?

I certainly don't recall the desk having any method of storing programs externally, however I do recall from my time spent using them, that they are very easy to patch, program and operate, if you are soft patching multiple DMX channels to desk channels, then all you need is a piece of paper with it all written down clearly, and it is all fairly straight forward to enter, much quicker than a strand 200 or MX

P.

The Event 24 can be fitted with a floppy drive, video output, analogue outs etc all as optional extras. I'm assuming the OP has checked that it has the floppy drive installed? ;)

I know the Event 4 series consoles have an OLE, but I'm not sure if there's any backwards compatibility with Event 24/48+.

In general however, I agree with slim_mcslim. They really are a doddle to patch, with or without the monitor. I'd just write it down and bash it in quickly on the day mate, it's bound to change at the last minute anyway :(

Thanks for the comments.

My other motivation for looking for an OLE was to familiarise myself with the desk. I've never used a Jands event before. Closest I've come to one is a Jands Hog 500. It's for a college show a friend of mine got offered but was unable to do, so I picked up the job. Rigging/Programming time is limited so just thought I'd see if I can get some bits of the process out the way, or just to get an idea on how the console works

BTW, yes. They do have the optional floppy drive for exporting shows/settings. I looked around for price for the VDU.. I can see why they didn't spring for it!

Anyhow, thanks again.

Tom

Tom,

You'll be fine on this one. It really is a very simple desk to pick up.. especially if you're at the level of Hogs (not that they bear any similarity whatsoever.. more from the point of view that you therefore have a clue in general.. if you know what I mean ;))

I remember biting the bullet and ordering the VDU card once... Took so long to turn up that by the time it had, the gig it was for was over and done with!!

First thing I would do on the day is wipe the desk, that way you'll find that any patches, programming and other stuff is gone before you start. This is done by turning the desk off, holding down DBO and the button next to it which is (runs away to check on the net), it's the flash mode selection button, and then turn the desk back on. You'll have to press '+' to say yes then the 'Record' key to confirm (page 136 of the user manual).

Also go here http://www.jands.com.au/download.nsf/getfi.../fp12opman2.pdf and download the manual for the desk, doesn't take long to read but will give you a fighting chance on the day.

Hope this helps

Regards, Dave

I use that desk very often... start with wipe everything as hughesy says, and if you can, read trough the manual before you get there, then it is quite straightfortward and easy to operate.

Softpatch is very easy, but do the whole patch at the same time or it may get confusing... thats my experience.

Apologies I have never seen one with a floppy option, have seen one with the VDU output, but that was fairly pointless, about as much use as it is on a masterpiece!! As everybody has said they really are easy to work with, and yes make sure you put the whole patch in at once, hence my comments on a pen and paper being your friend. As stated the only thing they have in common with the HOG 500 is the same faders, which if avolites could use them on their desks would make them truly world class (IMHO)

P.

First thing I would do on the day is wipe the desk, that way you'll find that any patches, programming and other stuff is gone before you start. This is done by turning the desk off, holding down DBO and the button next to it which is (runs away to check on the net), it's the flash mode selection button, and then turn the desk back on. You'll have to press '+' to say yes then the 'Record' key to confirm (page 136 of the user manual).

Also go here http://www.jands.com.au/download.nsf/getfi.../fp12opman2.pdf and download the manual for the desk, doesn't take long to read but will give you a fighting chance on the day.

Hope this helps

Regards, Dave

Hello All.

Thanks for all the tips and bits.

I've got the manual in PDF form already, but thanks for the offer Hughesy, even though it was the wrong one.. 'The JANDS FP12WM', was what came up when I clicked on the link. You heart was in the right place ;)

. I will also say that the Jands Hog 500 is in no way similar to the Event 24, in fact it couldn't be more different.
I'll second that! And I've not even used the desk before. Read through the main parts of the manual (great desk, got to give it a big thumbs up for anyone after a desk this size but wants functions like it! Theatre stack, subs, nice patching structure, Can't think of another desk that size/price that offers that. Maybe a frog?) and all the various features don't look to hard to use, but yes, are very different from the Hog OS layout.

Thanks again for everyones help. Certainly got more help than I was expecting from a simple question about an OLE!

Tom

Hi all,

Got a quick question all you Jands Event experts might be able to help me with.

From the manual:

Press the 1 (On) button or Keypad to change the Patch number in PT field

(there are 3 Patches available - 1, 2 and 3).

Now does that mean you can only patch 3 DMX channels to a control channel?

If so, I'm going to be screwed with the aforementioned (in this thread) show.

Tom

It means you can store three different patches, so one could be a one to one and the other two could be two different patching's for different shows or venues. The ability to store 3 patches started with the Jands Instinct, a predecessor to the Event.

Ah, phew!

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a good idea for some situations!

More questions... well question.

A feature thats intrigued me: 24 (normal) 48 (wide) 120 (superwide)

So if its only got 48 channel faders, how am I supposed to use up to 120? After reading through the manual, it doesn't seem like the sort of desk where, you patch DMX channels (single or multiple) to control channels, then control channels (single or multiple) to the faders..

It a case of using a strand style syntax.. i.e. 47 thru 50 @ 100%.. and then adding bits from the control faders and then recording a memory or step of a chase, etc...

I did a search in the manual about superwide, but it only brought up how to set it to that/channel limit and mentioned it during the desk spec..

Thanks for the continuing help offered!

Tom

*edit - added question about superwide/channels*

With the original Event, you could only get 120 channels if you had an Event 60/120 and went into the wide mode.

Event V3 Manual page 18

1. Press the Setup button to open the Setup menu.

2. Move the cursor to the DESK field and press the +(On) button to open the Set Desk menu.

3. Move the cursor to the WIDE filed and press the +(On) button to open the Set Desk Wide menu.

4. In the Set Desk Wide menu move the cursor to the WIDE field and press the +(On) button to change the filed to On.

5. Move the cursor to the CHANS filed - this filed will have automatically changed to double the number on channels [i.e. a 60 channel console will have changes to 120. Type in ant number of channels to a maximum of 252 (120 on Event)].

NOTE: If more than double the number of channels are selected in step 5 you will need a slave console to control the extra channels (see Section 24.00).

http://www.jands.com.au/download.nsf/getfi...e/Event3Man.pdf

If you have an Event 4 running Event Plus software, see user manual Version 5 you can set virtual faders by moving the Cursor to the Faders filed and enter the total number of fader channels required (1-240). Fader channels numbered higher than the number of physical faders must be controlled using the Fader(Next), And, At and Thru buttons combined with the numeric keypad. Refer to Section 8.2 for details.

Virtual Faders default to being scaled by the P1 Master. However they can be set to being scaled by the P2, P1 and P2 or Hold master. Refer to Section 8.2 for details. See http://www.jands.com.au/download.nsf/getfi...05005Online.pdf

Hope that helps, bit hard without a desk to try it on.

Archived