MAC700 profile - gobo animation

Barney

Hi all,

I'm designing a show and will be using a number of MAC700 washes and MAC700 profiles. I've not had the opportunity to play with the profile, but I'm assuming it will be straightforward.

I know that the MAC700 profile has a gobo animation system, and that it can be used for flowing water / cloud / fire 'effects', but does anyone know if it can be used for a passable snow effect?

I have ordered a couple of effects projectors with snow discs anyway, but wondered if they could be replaced with the MAC700 rig.

Thanks in advance!

Barney

I think it really depends on the gobos and animation disc you have in the units. I programmed a show last month with Mac 700s. The shimmering water effect from them was really impressive but the best snow effect we could get out of them was quite poor. It ended up being more like sleet than snow! This was with a standard gobo set in the lights, which I think was the problem - to get the most out of the lights really needs a gobo / animation disc choice to match the effects you need. And this may mean that you can't use the same light to create multiple effects as you only have 1 effects disc.

Certainly I would take an effects projector with snow disc over a Mac 700 with standard gobos.

Thanks David,

Unfortunately, the MAC700s will probably have the standard gobos and definitely the standard animation disc.

Mind you, a sleet effect could be useful!

I have two effects projectors with snow discs, but am having trouble sourcing another two! The MAC700s might be good enough to cover the stage area with the 'proper' snow effect projected onto the cyc.

Barney

Archived