Stock Footage

Stutwo

Hello All,

I'm looking for some video footage of things like clouds rolling past, people in busy street from high angle, the kind of thing I assume would come under "Stock Footage". I could go and get it myself, but does anyone know where I might be able to preview and get hold of such a thing?

how odd, two very similar posts the other

Stock footage is pretty widely available, much is described as royalty free - it isn't actually a free download - some is quite expensive (a google search for video stock footage clouds works well)

So you could easily spend £2-300 for something with no usage restrictions. This is why it is always simpler to do it yourself, if you can. To shoot clouds is fairly simple, but you have to wait for the right day - same with the roof shots. I have never had problems shooting even odd things, once you explain, people are usually quite helpful, opening locked doors etc.

Hope this doesn't count as a commercial post, but one of our clients supplies stock footage, you might consider them when looking arround...

http://content.bbcmotiongallery.com/images/37/58/3758-1.jpg

Timelapsed Clouds (more)

http://content.bbcmotiongallery.com/images/48/86/4886-20.jpg

Overhead Street (more)

• 2 months later...

I apologise for Going kind of <_< , but technically speaking if someone were to film the busy street scenario, would they then need permission from everybody who appears if the film is then shown publicly? - With 500 passers by, that could be somewhat impractical?

Just curios really...

Jim

I apologise for Going kind of <_< , but technically speaking if someone were to film the busy street scenario, would they then need permission from everybody who appears if the film is then shown publicly? - With 500 passers by, that could be somewhat impractical?

Just curios really...

Jim

This is one of these things that depends.

Anyone who works or for, or wishes to sell a programme to, the BBC has to abide by the Editorial Guidelines.

They state,

Public & semi-public places

An individual's right to privacy is qualified by location.

We should therefore not normally reveal information which discloses the precise location of a person's home or family without their consent, unless it is editorially justified.

People in public places or in semi-public places such as airports, railway stations and shopping malls cannot expect the same degree of privacy as in their own homes. However there may be circumstances where people can reasonably expect privacy even in a public place, for example, there is a greater expectation of privacy when someone is receiving medical treatment in a public or semi-public place.

We should operate openly wherever we are unless we have approval for secret recording. This is particularly important when our audio-visual equipment is not very obvious as in the case of small video cameras, mobile phone cameras or fixed webcams. We may need to use notices to make people aware that we are recording and to allow them to avoid us. At a live event or outside broadcast we should work in a defined area and tell people via information on posters or tickets that we are recording material and/or operating a webcam.

Consent

We will not seek to infringe privacy unless justified by a clear public interest or we have obtained consent. In potentially sensitive places, for example, ambulances, hospitals, schools and prisons, we should normally obtain two separate consents, one for gathering the material and the other for broadcasting it, unless it is justified not to obtain such consents.

If an individual or organisation asks us to stop recording or live broadcasting, because of a concern about privacy, we should normally do so, unless it is editorially justified to continue.

Now, I'm sure other organisations have different guidelines, and many of these guidelines are only based on an interpritation of the Human Rights Act 1998 but the BBC Guidelines have always looked like good advice to me.

James

Archived