Tents

James C

We’re supporting another company’s work in the Spring, and they want to perform in a tent for a small audience of young people. Basically a simple, easy to assemble, aluminium, self-standing dome structure about 4-5metres in diameter very much like a camping tent but bigger and without the additional ‘rooms’. This would then be covered with dark material to block out as much of the light as possible but some of the interior wall would be white so it could be used to project shadows onto it.

Options that have been rejected:

1. A Geodesic Dome. Too fiddly to assemble in a hurry.

2. An Inflatable Structure. The tent needs to be more solid than this, and ideally wouldn’t need electricity/a loud fan to keep it up.

Any thoughts on design/tent-erecting details?Or anyone know of someone who makes such things?

All suggestions gratefully received…

We have a stock of huge (20 person sleeper) tents used by our CCF on camps. These can be joined together easily to make a huge tent in theory. The fabric is thick ripstop canvas and is therefore blackout.

Get in contact your local TA base and see if you could borrow a couple.

If you're in London at the end of this month, you might do worse than pop along to The Event Show (27th - 29th Jan at Olympia). Judging from the pre-show coverage in Access All Areas, the place should be fairly awash with temporary structures. Free tickets appear to be available on the above link.

I would post you some of the companies advertising in AAA, but, well, I had a clear out, so you'll have to wait 'til the next copy hits my doormat... sorry!

Hope this is a little bit of help,

Tom

Cheers, Tom - I prebooked a free ticket in case I was at a loose end when it was on anyway - didn't occur to me they might actually have tents on show in a tradeshow geared towards the outdoor event market :)

I'll pop along. In the meantime, feel free to keep your thoughts coming...

Archived