Metal punches for d-subs, xlrs etc.

Ike

I've been building more and more custom equipment recently and would really like to get hold of a few metal punches to fit various d-sub connectors and possibly XLR's, cable glands etc. I'm looking for the types with two halves that bolt together through a small hole in the centre of where you want the finished hole to be.

So far I've managed to get a few from a radio rally that were, from what I can tell, designed to fit valve bases but I'm struggling to find a source of new ones.

I'm based in Manchester but am happy to use mail order.

Oh and I have been watching ebay for a while with a few different search terms but all I can find is circular ones.

Thanks,

Ike

Thanks for that, I was sure I had checked RS :D

Anyway having seen the price does anyone know if anyone hires them out or anywhere I could take a case and have them cut out for me? From RS I'd be looking at having to buy three different sizes and I dont think I would honestly get £350 use out of them.

As well as Q-max punches, have a look for Greenlee sheet metal punches - a bit tougher in my experience and they do a variety of ratchet/electric/hydraulic punches.

For Q-max punches, use a ball-race where possible, and a 8mm driver on a socket set - or better still an impact driver.

Archived