iPod Rackmount

Dan Appleby

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...or bring back a rackmount minidisc player?

It can do proper controls, backlit display, balanced in/out, cuing, level meter, upto 80min of capacity (do you need more?) etc.

But then that defeats the whole object of being able to use an iPod for playback - it's the whole point of this theoretical device!

I wouldn't say it fits the requirements when a minidisc can't hold at least 20GB of MP3 data on a single disc/device.

I'm seriously going to look into making an adapter for my iPod that has balanced outputs whilst also providing power and a USB connection to the iPod. Making a unit that also has LCD display and remote control of an iPod would take a while to develop and I doubt it would make any money. I could be proven wrong though.

• 11 months later...

To be really honest..

its a little work but much better I think. (and pretty much free)

an old pc lying around.. mount it in a rackmount generic box and install linux.

its VERY easy to program in a small LCD display screen which can be mounted on the front of the unit and a mini keyboard to control MPLAYER software.

its really simple I made myself a REALLY nice hifi seperates MP3 player (basically I mounted a baby-atx motherboard in an old CD player.. hid a proper CD drive where the cd player's drive used to be, made space for front USB port and connected it to network and interfaced the original buttons via a the serial port) It was a library with IR remote of all mp3s and hooked to my sound system. The later generation was going to send out video as well and be my movie player but I never got round to it before moving to spain.

Linux should be configured to read-only mode so you can turn it off at any moment.

Basically.. rack-mount this and your sorted.

With a little know-how you can program hot-start keys for each track in a show on the keyboard.. the lot.

lots of people are doing similar ideas to mounth them in cars EG HERE

I would suggest for normal shows.. its best to run this to naturally look for MP3's from a cd. Then there will be no issues of trying to store USB sticks etc. This would also take away the need for creating and looking after a database of mp3's in the system and the need to learn how to fiddle with MSQL... not so much fun!

EQUALLY: windows can be used if you have a spare licence and are willing to cough up for player licence etc as well.

My understanding is there is a licensing issue here. My colleague had a lengthy discussion with PPL regarding Ipods just a couple of weeks ago, and was informed that whilst it is acceptable for a client or guest to provide their own Ipod and say "please play this Ipod Mr Sound Engineer - then return it to me", it is not acceptable for the sound company to turn up using Ipods as a professional sound source, irrespective of whether a digital licence is held or not. Apparently this is something to do with restrictions imposed by Apple. However if the playback device is an MP3 player, and not an Ipod, then provided a digital licence is held, there should be no problems.

it is not acceptable for the sound company to turn up using Ipods as a professional sound source, irrespective of whether a digital licence is held or not. Apparently this is something to do with restrictions imposed by Apple.

Do we have anything in writing to back up that statement? If true it's a bit of a worry - you can't use an iPod as a sound source?? Since when did PPL restrictions apply to choice of playback hardware? :wall:

Would it not be easier if there were a docking port for iPods on the desks? Surely with new digital sound desks it would not be beyond the realm of possibility to have a dock on the desk which can be assignable to any channel and then have a screen mode so that you can control it using the main desk screen?

Archived