Skytec Professional DMX Scanner

wodp

Looking around the web for a £200-ish scanner that has 5 channels of control (i.e. pan, tilt, colour, gobo, shutter) I stumbled across this skytec offering - product info here. I know as its cheap there will be some not worth it responses but seeing as they aren't gonna get caned and will be well looked after (tbh mainly so I can experiement with DMX and some software I'm working on) I figured two of them for under 400 wasnt bad as something to help me write + program lighting sequences with. So, any reason (apart from the obvious cost cost and reliability) why I shouldnt get a pair?

Dave

Wodp I was / am doing exactly the same as you, needing to experiment to write some software. I decided ont he ACME Winner and it is a fantastic unit. However having not had much experience with anything else like them...

I have heard bad things about Skytec in general but I have not seen this scanner before. Iw ould be interested if you get it. That site says it is six channel, is that correct? The Winners are only 5 but they do have seperate colour and gobo wheels which is what I was after.

Also a lot of Chauvet products are the Acme ones. The new Chauvet Moving heads are rebadged and coloured Acme moving heads (or visa versa!).

• 3 months later...

Just to resurrect this while I think about all this again. 4mths on and theres STILL no Omega II manual on the chauvet website (which is sucky as the omega1 spec looks crud by comparison). Having been asked to do lighting for a concert next month my interest in this kicked up again (and the potential to acquire one or two Destroyers for zilch :** laughs out loud **:) I'm gonna get my PDC (Portable DMX Controller app) development going again. and if I get time add sequences and steps (atm its just 100 or 128 static memories). misterbassman in a few weeks I may be in touch to get hold of one of those Omega IIs seeing as the stuff that seemed to be favoured in initial reply flurry was rebranded Chauvet kit

Dave

I have heard of a person recently who is haveing serious trouble with Chauvet Lights and imparticular the Omega 1's and 2's he brought a pair of 1's and had so many problems, I think he went thru about 2 pairs, then he got upgraded to 2's for extra cost and had nothing but trouble with them.

Gareth

Hi

My experience is that the Chauvet stuff is good depending on the applications. If you are going to look after it it is worth the money you pay for.

If you are having problems contact their main UK agent if that is where you are or contact them directly. They do try with their customer service in the US.

In the UK: Chauvet UK and the person in charge of Chauvet is Tony Smith.

Hope that helps.

Archived