How to achieve a "curtain of light beams" effect

djwiltsh

Hi All

I want to create an effect for the time before my church's Christmas service begins that is like a curtain of light beams (if that makes sense). I have 6 Selecon aclaim zoom profiles which I am thinking of rigging from the rear stage truss, aimed at the front of the stage (approx 55 degree angle if pointing straight down counts as 90 degrees), with a hard focus. I thought that maybe a gobo with a series of circles in a line would create the effect I am looking for. All I have been able to find is this: Link.

What do you think? Am I going about this in the right way?

I am fairly new to actually designing the lighting as I am more used to progamming an existing rig, so any help would be great!

Thanks very much in advance

Daniel

Am I going about this in the right way?

You are definitely on the right track.

First thing, though, is that you are 100% going to have to use haze. Without it you won't get the effect you want.

Secondly, the lazer dots gobo you're suggesting will give you lots of little beams of light in a line which may be what you're after. However, you may prefer to use something conical like this to give a more vivid, 3D-like and exciting effect. With lots of haze 6 of these in a row would be very effective.

Am I going about this in the right way?

You are definitely on the right track.

First thing, though, is that you are 100% going to have to use haze. Without it you won't get the effect you want.

Secondly, the lazer dots gobo you're suggesting will give you lots of little beams of light in a line which may be what you're after. However, you may prefer to use something conical like this to give a more vivid, 3D-like and exciting effect. With lots of haze 6 of these in a row would be very effective.

Yep, we have haze so that will be fine.

I was hoping to have larger circles rather than the dots on the laser gobo. I was hoping to make it look flat rather than 3d which is why I didn't look at the conical gobos.

Dan

Don't forget that you can make your own gobos, and the design that the OP posted is very simple. I have found that if you contact a few Lithoplate printers, some are able to give you a few of their old plates for free. It is then a case of drilling the holes in a line, and cutting the plate with a pair of tough scissors to the size you require. That way, you can experiment to see how to get the best effect.

I have seen someone create a jail bar effect in front of the audience, but it required over 60 pinspots! The only difference is that each bar was parallel, whereas the profiles will create a line of bars that fan out from the lantern, which I think is a better image for this application. And that might lead me to try rigging lanterns as close as possible together to get a fan effect that covers the whole stage from one point, rather than 6 individual fans.

Second the haze machine requirement!

Edit, dang, OP already replied to that one!

I was hoping to have larger circles

OK. Try doing a product search for MS-2291 here then.

Any better?

That is exactly what I was thinking of.

Thanks as well to light console for the home made idea. I am happy to have the six fans spaced across the stage rather than all coming from one point, or I may try 3 per side.

I will probably buy a gobo as my general fabrication / craft skills are appalling!

It's good to know that the concept will work however.

Thanks for you help.

Dan

I can't help but think that you'll get precious little light through those gobos and if the ambient light is high you may not see much at all, so try it out using the shutters to give you bands of light and see if it reads.The fan effects you see in shows have high power lights through haze in a dark environment.A little experimenting may be a good idea before spending heaps on gobos

Hi All

I want to create an effect for the time before my church's Christmas service begins that is like a curtain of light beams (if that makes sense). I have 6 Selecon aclaim zoom profiles which I am thinking of rigging from the rear stage truss, aimed at the front of the stage (approx 55 degree angle if pointing straight down counts as 90 degrees), with a hard focus. I thought that maybe a gobo with a series of circles in a line would create the effect I am looking for. All I have been able to find is this: Link.

What do you think? Am I going about this in the right way?

I am fairly new to actually designing the lighting as I am more used to progamming an existing rig, so any help would be great!

Thanks very much in advance

Daniel

If you use a gobo such as this

DHA7742/Rosco777742 - Split 4 which is a set of four large dots in each of your fixtures or even Rosco 77917 which is a set of smaller dots in a single line, you will get a really good effect over six fixtures through haze. Gobos suggested are from Rosco/DHA.

Not sure why the link didn't work for Woody74, just tried it and it took me here:

http://www.adblighting.com/productsdocumen...da%20folder.pdf

I'll see if I can find a picture of the actual light output of these units, I love'm and will use them whenever I can. Alternatively you could rig rows and rows of ACL's to get the same effect, beats any gobo anytime :P

Archived