Safety Footwear

five_pin_xlr

Hi,

I'm starting work at PRG Europe on Monday, and have been emailed by the director that a good pair of safety boots are essential.

Where is a good place to buy some, I live in surrey so have ability to go anywhere preferably within the county.

I guess these would be steel toecapped, so nails or heavy things dont go or are dropped on my foot.

Any suggestions would be great.

Best Regards

Alex

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm starting work at PRG Europe on Monday, and have been emailed by the director that a good pair of safety boots are essential.

If you're starting there as an employee (i.e. PAYE on a contract) then PRG have an obligation to provide you with any PPE that they deem to be necessary, including safety footwear. Employees shouldn't have to provide their own PPE.

If, on the other hand, you're working there as a contractor (i.e. freelance) then you do indeed have to provide your own. Not sure of you have branches of Arco in your part of the world, but they have a very good selection. I've had safeties of various makes over the years (Cat, DeWalt, Dr.Marten, Dickies) and the Docs are far and away the best ones out of all of them - really comfortable, no "bedding-in" period, and reasonably priced.

If the director phoned you to ask you to get them, it could be a bad move to ask them for them! I've noticed that the shoe shops in our local trading estate now do a range of cheapish steelie - maybe get a cheap pair to use as no. 2's if and when they give you some better ones? Army & navy stores do them, as do Milletts if you're pushed.

Not quite sure I agree with the "bad move" thing - A company as large as PRG should be aware of their obligations under the Personal Protective Equipment At Work Regulations 1992 and the Health And Safety At Work Etc Act 1974, and shouldn't be asking employees to provide for themselves any equipment which the employer is obliged to provide BY LAW.

Link.

If it was me, I'd try and get hold of a pair, and I'd expect to pay about £30-40 for decent CAT boots. Yes legally they are obliged to provide them. I'm not questioning that. However it possibly marks out you are pro-active about things if you do come prepared. Plus you might then get them to re-imburse you for the cost.

You might find TK Maxx sell CAT's with steel toes, as I'm sure I've seen half decent pairs in our local TK Maxx. That said many places that sell CAT footwear have one style.

Well, as he said that I need them.

He knows what he's talking about, so I assume that I have to do that. But by everything being said, then it sounds that the H&S book is what should be followed along with what has been said by gareth, would you say this is right??

BR

alex

How many times do we have to go around this, Alex? The law (not just hearsay, we're actually talking about THE LAW) says that they have to provide your PPE. You tell us that you've read their H&S booklet and it says that they do provide your PPE. That seems pretty definitive to me. If you still don't understand what you have to do, for heaven's sake just phone them up and ask them!

Gareth, give the kid a break! I know what you are saying but judging by his age, it is probably his first job and a little nervous about doing the right thing.

Alex, go and buy yourself a nice pair of mid-priced 'steel caps' and make sure you get a proper receipt. It shows you take some initiative, which is a good thing on a new job, and they may reimburse you for your purchase. If not and they supply you with another pair, as required by law, then you have two pairs you can wear alternating - something your feet will be happy about.

Alex, go and buy yourself a nice pair of mid-priced 'steel caps' and make sure you get a proper receipt. It shows you take some initiative, which is a good thing on a new job, and they may reimburse you for your purchase. If not and they supply you with another pair, as required by law, then you have two pairs you can wear alternating - something your feet will be happy about.

I think I said that already

How many times do we have to go around this, Alex? The law (not just hearsay, we're actually talking about THE LAW)

I would stick with Gareth on this one.

It is a LEGAL requirement for a company to supply any safety equipment for your employment.

So... why the hell is a director of PRG suggesting he buys his own? (this is how it appears to sound in the original post)

Archived