Flying Abroad with tools etc

b1nuzz

Hi guys,

The time has come where I have my first job abroad, and therefore I need to take my tool box, my harness kit and rope etc with me. All this plus, two weeks worth of clothes is going to be quite substantially heavier than the maximum bag allowance.

Will I just have to pay the extra baggage, or is it best to cut down my tools etc to the essentials. I kinda know the answer but I would like to know what you guys all do when travelling, as there might be something I could do too.

Thanks in advance!

There can be several ways to do this. Obviously the first thing is to check out your weight allowance and how many bags you can check in within that allowance (not counting cabin/hand luggage).

If they allow it, you may want to pack clothes etc. in one and tools in another.

If it looks like you are going to be over, phone the airline in advance and tell them that you are carrying items that are essential to your work and that you are overweight (the baggage, not you!). In some cases they will put a 'flag' next to your name on the computer which will show when you check in.

Now, you arrive at the airport and this next bit is very important.....be polite to the check-in staff and tell them that you may have excess because of equipment essential to your work. In a lot of cases (well ours anyway travelling as a group of band and crew) they will waive the excess or at least negotiate with you!

Otherwise it's a matter of getting a bag/small wheelie-case that is within the cabin allowances and putting a few clothes in there....no tools of any description, ropes etc.!.

The rule here is "forewarned and politeness'. We get away with anything up to 200kg in excess sometimes (darn production Hardcases, snare drums and guitars and toolcases!).

However, if you get away with it on outbound you may not be so lucky returning so bear that in mind.

Also turn up 2 hours before your flight, it can sometimes be a bit time consuming queueing up to pay the excess if you get nabbed!......don't forget to take enough cash or better still a debit card.

Politeness and co-operation is the key here. You are not going on holiday and have stuffed your suitcase with needless items you will never use like some holidaymakers and a lot of airlines are aware of this.

If you are seriously over. Try getting your stuff out Cargo. It generally works out cheaper than excess but you will have to deliver your stuff early as it may go out on a different flight and not be ready for you at the other end if it has to be Customs checked.

Seriously, the manners thing does work! One time we checked in and 'swung' the excess. A band who were checking in behind us got really clobbered, all because they were abusive and impatient with the check-in staff. I think it cost them nearly £3000! They were furious! Manners maketh the man as they say! :)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Also, regardless of what weight you end up carrying, make sure that no one item weighs 32kg or more. Its a health and safety issue apparently, to do with baggage handlers' backs going 'twang', so there's no room for negotiation whatsoever, if you have 32.5kg, you'd better have it in more than one bag.

Are you working with a hire company? If you have spare kit or can spare it for the transit time, life is much easier if you can get it to the warehouse, pack it in a flightcase and bung it on the truck.

I have never had any problems, but it may be more cost effective to buy tools locally than to fly them out, (if you can find them), It does depend who you are and what you are going to do, (who you are working for).

Best thing as has been said is to check with the airline in advance, and to remain polite and calm if stopped, remember if the worst happens and you have to abandon stuff it is not the end of the world and if you have time you can get it sent from the airport, home or shipped another way at a price.

Ooh yes! I forgot to mention the 32kg limit! As Seano says this applies to anything oversize/out of guage as well as suitcases.....it'll have to be sent as freight otherwise, which means delays.

However 32kg is pretty heavy and even the lead singer hasn't excelled at that one, even for a weekend festival! :) :D

If you can travel with other people in a group you can pool together all your weights and that can be a big help.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replys, spoke to the airline, in a very nice way, and they wernt happy to budge on my allowance.

I can get to the yard to load my kit on the truck, so I will do that instead. Its more likely to get there that way!

Thanks for all your help. BR rocks again!

One thing to remember when you're trying to blag a bit of excess is to check in nice and early before the hold starts to fill up. We did that coming back from the south of France with suitcases nearly breaking under the strain of bottles of wine - the girl at the desk just smilled and :rolleyes: and away the bags went.

Probably better flightcasing it all and flinging it on the truck though - get as many changes of clothes in there too if you can, it'll be less to have to haul around the airport at either end.

Archived