Need to source a projector!

dave singleton

Hi,

Im looking for a projector for projecting onto calico. I need something quite large, as the total projection area is 13m x 8.5m.

Can anybody help/suggest things?

What is your projection distance?

What brightness do you want to achieve?

The answers to these two questions will determine the size (lumen rating) of the projector and the throw ratio of the projection lens.

You could also use two or more projectors and edge blend them together.

Sorry for such a vague post before. Im not quite sure why I didnt include much detail. Distance is proberly about 14 - 15m minimum.

Brightness wise I want it very very bold. I'm experimenting by using calico and I want something that will still look good if the surface isnt quite up to it.

Although cost isnt too much of an issue, I'd rather steer clear of multiple projectors and lots of processing as its likely to be me that deals with it onsite.

Simply due to the large screen size you want, your going to need to start off with a good brightness. Depending on the ambient brightness that your dealing with, it's going to be minimum 10,000 I'd have thought. If you can really crank the ambient down, then less might suffice, but your talking an image over 40' wide......

As for lens.... putting a Christie LX120 (12000 Lumens) in to Christie's Lens Calculator, gives a throw of 15m with a 12.2m wide screen (The calculator won't go over 12.2m wide.....).

Price? Well expect to pay about £700/day ex VAT for 10k, and about £75/day for a lens.

Next step is to head to high brightness DLP, but due to the fact there isn't many of these things about (And the higher purchase price) expect to pay near £2k/day. You can get upto 30k, but they aint going to be cheap.

One of the benefits with DLP is a generally higher contrast ratio compared to LCD. For instance a Barco SLMR12+ is 1600:1 in Normal mode, with 2000:1 in High contrast, where as a Christie LX1000 is 1100:1. This helps by giving darker blacks, so enhancing the perceived brightness.

You want to cover just over 110 square metres (13 x 8.5 m) and preferably with a single projector!!!!

The distance you indicated tells me that you need a short throw lens. Those are typically not of the highest possible transmission. If you can move another 5-6 metres back you can use a lens with better transmission = more light on the screen with the same projector.

But seriously, if you want a "bold" projection (I take that to mean quite bright), you will need at least the brightest there is. Something like 25-30k lumen. And I bet that even that won't give you the "wow" effect. Probably you need two projectors, overlayed to get a "bold" image.

I think most likely (with two big projectors) you are looking at close to 10k Pounds per week in projector rental and there is no way that this is a DIY job. These kinds of projectors are not plug and play, they need expertise in setting up and giving their best.

Consider this; if a 5k lumen projector gives you the right brightness on a 12 square metre screen (say 4 x 3m, a typical size) than you'll need close to ten times as much to get the same impression of brightness on your 110 m2 screen.

Mats Karlsson

Product Manager

Barco Events

mats (dot) karlsson (at) barco (dot) com

Just to give you an idea of projectors in a practical application I did LL Cool J at Brixton academy on Friday front projecting onto a relatively translucent backdrop (more translucent than calico). The projected image was 40ft by 22.5ft, (12.2m x 6.9) 16:9. we first tried just one Barco ELM 18 Director (18000 Lumens Nominally) which fell well short of the LDs expectations so I lined up a second ELM 18 to bring the light output up probably at a best guess to near about 28/30,000 lumens (older lamps which could have done with a little fine tuning had I had time) Remember also that as the projectors were working in 16:9 rather than their native 4:3 ratio you would also lose some light to the blanking on the top and bottom of the DLP chips. With about 20 feet to the front truss I used barco 1.5-2.1:1 Lenses.

This sounds like a situation not to dissimilar to what you are looking at, less than ideal projection surface and a bold punchy image and I didnt have much ambient light to work against, although the LD was impressed with the fact that no matter what light he through at it the projectors still burned through...

These projectors are DLP and big beasties but they are the calibre of projector you need to be looking at, and you will probably need to double stack them ( line one projectors image over the second) as your image isnt particularily wide this is an easier and cheaper option than trying a soft edge blend. This kind of projector is not the kind of friendly domestic projector you want to dabble with if you have limited experience, but then few projectors that will acheive this are. It is well worth investing in the time of an experienced projectionist to get them set up just right, if you have the budget for the projectors the extra cost of an engineer isnt going to make that much of a difference.

Hope this advice is in line with what you wanted to hear, feel free to PM me if you want any more specific advice.

Charlie

Just a quick edit having seen Little DJ's post, while contrast ratios are a usefull comparison between projectors remember your blackest black depends on the amount of ambient light falling on your screen surface and its ability to reject said light, not particularly good for Calico.

Archived