buying tools state-side

zonino

hi guys,

question for the people who live on the other side of the pond,

do you have any recommendations for sites to buy tools? or alternatively a decent shop in San Diego?

specifically I'm looking for a long 5/32 allen key (aka allen-wrench)

thanks muchly :-)

Stan

Can't help with a specific supplier, but you may find that in the USA some people know them better as a "hex wrench" (for the hexagonal shape).

A google on that name found quite a few American suppliers.

Bob

If you will be in the States, you can just go to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes home improvement center. They are everywhere, and should have long T handle allen keys in stock. If you will be around long enough to order online you can probably get a better selection of high quality lines like Bondhus. Is there some reason you can't order this online in the UK? It isn't a very exotic item.

Mac

Are you sure you need 12"?

Which bits are you trying to remove?

Cyberlights are only about 10" deep anyway, and all three sections of the mirror-side cover comes off using normal-sized tools.

I'm sure that I've pulled one completely to bits with a set of allen keys around 6" in length - definately nowhere near the full foot!

You need to be a little creative in the direction you approach it, and spin the gobo and colour wheels into certain positions to get your allen key through the O/W slots.

Aww heck with it - what doesn't work?

9 times out of ten it's the processor board or power supply board.

If one motor doesn't work, swap the motor tails between drivers on the processor board to determine if it's motor or driver.

IIRC, there's one IR-light gate sensor for each of the wheels, and no other sensors at all as everything else works by forcing it into the endstop.

its a colour flag motor (yellow to be specific), to remove the plate you have to undo the allen bolts at the bottom of the fixture, it may be possible to remove it by removing something else first, but I'd rather not have to!

Archived