DVI - VGA Conversion

Mr.Si

Hi all,

I need to convert a DVI signal to a VGA/SVGA type signal for going from a Mac into a Projector which does not have DVI input, or at least, the cable is not long enough, BUT there is a 30mtr VGA lead available.

How does one convert DVI to VGA?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I can't find anything that rings any bells.

Thanks All.

Si

Little DJ's web link says most of it - it is a very good background and will help you identify the connector type.

You can only use a dongle adaptor if the output is DVI-I type AND The graphics card will output the resolution you want in analogue format without seeing the digital connection from the monitor to tell it it can accept that signal rate. I don't know what Macs do in this regard.

If your luck is in, you can use a dongle. If not, then Extron make a DVI-Analogue conversion unit, which you can connect to a breakout cable from a VGA lead. You can find it here.

For the second (DVI) output of my Mac, I used a generic DVI to VGA adaptor to run the second monitor, and it works fine. I've used a projector on that same output and it worked no problems at all.

Hi Mr.Si.

Generally speaking, most new Macs should come with this little converting lead in the box. I know mine did!

But if the Mac in question didn't, apart from the links above, Apple's genuine leads for DVI -> VGA are:

Apple Mini DVI - VGA

Apple DVI - VGA

Apple Mini VGA - VGA

Yeah, they're a touch more expensive than the products linked above, but you can't really go wrong with them!

Hope that helps a lil,

Peter :)

Not really... It all depends on what each device can support... If you look at the link in Little DJ's post above you will see that it is all down to the type of DVI that is supported by the device you are going into/ coming out of. If the devices DVI supports analogue RGB in or out then no conversion is needed. the majority of pro or semi-pro kit is which only has DVI is DVI-I takes analogue in or puts it out and when this is the case nothing more than the appropriate DVI- 15pin sub D adaptor in necessary.

Archived