Help with this concept

dave singleton

You wont get nice defined shadows using a city colour. Last time we had to do such an effect made up some custom fixtures consisting simply of a GKV lamp base in a metal box, no lens, This created nice defined shadows. Basically a point source (single source of light) will create a much cleaner shadows than a wash light.

One question - will the dancers be able to see the city colour? I have a single unit, washing a huge ceiling. Whatever you do you must NOT look directly into the unit. If the dancers look at one for just a second, they have a real problem seeing anything for ages afterwards - and even a couple of feet away, the heat output in the beam is like sitting near an electric fire. Excellent light sources, but very unpleasant to be near! John mentioned the slow colour change - I'd tend to agree, snap is a gentle shift to the new colour. Anything near it to create shadows needs to be very heat resistant, and non-reflective, else the light will bounce everywhere.

Having been one of the first people to use city colours in the UK, a small insight,

Colour Bumps; not as fast as a VL Colour wheel snap, but given the size of the blades... probably more akin to a mac 600 in terms of bump speed. Excluding the colour parameters from any fade times also helps.

Colour Mix, If you are not using Cyan, Magenta, or Yellow and mixing colours on a white cloth you may notice 'bands' of colour where flags overlap each other sometimes. this may be a desirable effect, it may not.

Heat... City Colours don't like getting too hot! Use the lamp on and lamp off command if your only going to use them for short sections of the show (allow warm up time obviously) otherwise you will risk the thermal trip cutting in when you least want it too!

Other Options... with multiple performers and multiple shadows I have used a mix of VL2000 and VL3000 washes both have a very wide zoom and give some very nice colours, the colour system is very fast so bumps are achievable too.

Regards

Tim

Hi Dave,

When I read the first post the fixture that popped into my mind was the Martin Atomic strobe with an atomic colour scroller. They would certainly have the impact you desire and you can dim the fixture on blind mode to achieve the levels you need. If you're using a custom scroller I the colour changes can be very fast. You could also do single flashes for more of an "in your face" effect. You could also experiment with different frost filters??

If that doesn't float your boat my other thought was an 8-lite Molfay with a colour scroller attached. This may have slower colour changes though as the scrollers are so big!

Jonny.

ps. I would front project

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input on this. Just thought I would update with the chosen set up:

As there were to be 4 dancers I have changed the way in which it will work. I am going to use 4 Mac 2k Performances, and use the shutter system to get 4 different strips of colour across the cloth. The cloth will now just be a plastic cyc, and I have decided to front project. Whilst doing some sums I stumbled across the minor problem that I cannot get the Mac 2k's to work as close to the cyc as I want, so I have also reduced the cloth size.

I hope the damn thing works now as its going to be a very expensive show. :unsure:

Whilst doing some sums I stumbled across the minor problem that I cannot get the Mac 2k's to work as close to the cyc as I want, so I have also reduced the cloth size.

I'm sure you don't want any more ideas now you have your plan but why not use VL 1000s as they have a wider zoom (70 degree ish) than the mac 2k?

Pete

Archived