Uni Places

Hi everyone,

I'm currently at that stage where I have to start looking to apply to university, now Ive found a few courses that do lighting for theatre, currently the one I'm looking into the most is Rose Bruford in London. The thing is, the area I'm wanting to go into is concert lighting. Is there any courses that do anything like this. I'm also a more practical learner so would prefer a course that doesn't require loads of writing.

I live in Sheffield but don't mind moving. So anyone got any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Scott

;)

Hi Scott.

What I did, many years ago, was to do an electrical & electronic engineering course, and spend all my free time working on events at the Student Union. Many SUs put on their own events, using their own crew. This means that I gained experience, made friends & useful contacts in many parts of the industry, while at the same time, learning (some) useful stuff, which may have given me "the edge" several times during my career.

I guess I should own up & say that I never got a degree, as I actually spent too much time working gigs, refitting the venue, and building up my own equipment. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

I hope you find a course that you want to do, but don't forget that you may be able to learn more outside the lecture theatre than in it. So when looking at different places, find out what else you could do there, in your chosen field. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Uni's something id like to do although I do see your point of view, at the moment I'm talking media studies, electronics and technical theatre at A level.

Ive also done some part time work building stages which id want to carry on doing whilst at uni and also try and get more experience in the trade.

A few people I know at PRG (who do a lot of tours and concerts) went and did their degree's at central school of speech and drama.. don't know if thats any help. In theory it doesn't matter which drama school you got your degree at, its just what I have seen personally.

I second Marks comments about SU work. Also, electrical engineering courses are still pretty common (but good) qualifications in the industry, a lot of 'lampies' and even some noise boys have some form of City & Guilds qualification. A qualified electrician (or at least a partly cert'd one) is a useful person to have on a crew!

Ive also done some part time work building stages which id want to carry on doing whilst at uni
Perhaps you should look at a stage management or a set design/construction course?

HTH

Tom

if you want concert style lighting try LIPA a friend of mine went there and they have a lot of very nice equipment to play I mean learn on, and they have lots of dance events and concerts etc.... plus they ahve the prestige a theatre school has within theatre!

one to think about....

...try LIPA a friend of mine went there...
Well done to your friend! Anyone else.. good luck getting in there! ;)

If anyone in the last few years has applied for LIPA, you'll know what I'm talking about!

Tom

probably easier than last year, due to the surplus places uk wide, compared with people who can afford to go. That said, LIPA has a different 'air' to it than other unis. I've been to a few, including RB and LIPA, and to get a place, they need to see that you are worth giving a chance to - so they are careful about who they take. Not just pre-exisiting skill level, but more like attitude and how well you'd fit in. You need to go to see any uni you are considering, the blurb is far too glossy, so you need to go and see if you can really see yourself there for 3 years. RB and LIPA seem to produce graduates with a pretty high opinion of themselves, which isn't a bad thing, but I equally know some of their graduates who are making far more money working in a bank! (which seems a shame)

Archived