Lee Filters, common outside UK?

tour monkey

Hi Guys,

I'm in the middle of putting together a pretty basic lighting plot for a band. I'm specifying colours, using Lee numbers.

Does anybody know if Lee filters are used as widely in the U.S and the rest of Europe? Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a noiseboy really!

Cheers in advance

Olly ;)

I'm specifying colours, using Lee numbers.

Does anybody know if Lee filters are used as widely in the U.S

I think you are OK in the US. We have a stocking dealer here in Omaha Nebraska. They supply lighting for small bands and they also handle the tour and stadium lighting for Dave Mathews Band. Let me know if you would like thier number.

John G

You'll be fine - same numbers, same swatch book. Lee have an office out in California, and most hire/sales places will stock Lee, in addition to Rosco (and maybe Gam). I've had no problems getting gels on the East coast, although some of the more obscure gels get ordered in. Prices are pretty good too - normally the same as Rosco, although I think you get an inch or so less on a Lee sheet.

It's become something of a running joke for me out here - everytime I LD a show I end up using mainly Lee, unlike every other production that takes place in the space.

I would say that Lee is certainly not as popular as Rosco here is the US, but it is readily available (at least in Oregon).

I use Lee and Rosco equally in my theatre designs, and Rosco in my day job. I prefer the feel of Lee, and the blues of Rosco.

-w

If it is only a basic plot, as you say, then why not put Lee numbers and the name of the colour (119 - dark blue) on your plot with a little note saying "feel free to substitute with Rosco or other gel of the same colour if Lee is not available"

I'm sure those working across the pond will be able to cope admirably with such a request.

If it is only a basic plot, as you say, then why not put Lee numbers and the name of the colour (119 - dark blue) on your plot with a little note saying "feel free to substitute with Rosco or other gel of the same colour if Lee is not available"

I'm sure those working across the pond will be able to cope admirably with such a request.

I have seen it happen where a plot said 119, and the rig went out with frost...

Does anybody know if Lee filters are used as widely in the U.S and the rest of Europe? Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a noiseboy really!

In fact, plenty of designers in the U.S. spec Lee colors (amongst others) in their initial plot because that's the precise color they want. As long as your presenter has a consumables budget, you should have no trouble getting Lee colors here.

Tim Buchman

City Center Theater NYC NY

Why not get a rosco swatch book, and any other popular color suppliers and make a spreadsheet to send out with your plot which shows a variation which you wouldn't mind other theatres venues using as substitutes?

it's a bit of work but at least then you know what you will be getting each time

HTH

AndyJones

"a little note saying "feel free to substitute with Rosco or other gel of the same colour if Lee is not available"

This is cartainly a possibility with Apollo double coated gel also. The direct conversion is available online at http://www.internetapollo.com/techtalk/gelconverter/

In fact, plenty of designers in the U.S. spec Lee colors (amongst others) in their initial plot because that's the precise color they want. As long as your presenter has a consumables budget, you should have no trouble getting Lee colors here.

Tim Buchman

City Center Theater NYC NY

Well... I dunno Tim.

I mean you're completely right in everything you said:

lee has become quite popular for US lighting designers.

it can be purchased without trouble, certainly.

But, Rosco is still the household brand name for filters in the US.

If this is a show touring to roadhouses, performing arts centers, larger concert venues or university theatres (AND the presenter is expected to provide color as per the rider, AND they actually purchase new color per show) then sure... go for the lee. you'll end up with certain substitutions, but in the better funded venues you'll actually get your full color plot.

If this show is on a smaller circuit: smaller towns, clubs, auditoriums - then, well... you can put lee on your plot, but be aware that it inevitably will be substituted for Rosco.

Most smaller stops will stock a handful of assorted lee filters only... 201-203, maybe 161. some clubs will have lee 119 and 181.

Make sure to distinguish your colors by letter as well as number (I feel like that's not the standard in the UK normally, right?) as in L119 , R119 and so forth...

Archived