Effects Processors

CHIPSTER69

Hi y'all just swapped to a separate amp/mixer combo but am unhappy with onboard FX (Mackie cfx12 mkII) we are a soft soul band and I need advice on a decent FX processor for vocals - we do a lot of Stylistics kinda stuff so need something that will help with that. Dont really want to spend more than £120 as just spent £3000 on upgrade. Any advice would be welcome - cheers

Chip

Moderation: as I'm in a good mood I've fixed your sticky Caps Lock key for you.

In your price band I'd probably go for the TC Electronic M300. It's got a good track record for reliability and, for the money, sounds quite nice indeed.

The one thing I'd say though, is that once you start really listening to effects, it's possible to get quite fussy about the sound. Since you've already started hearing the nasties in the built-in effects (though I have to say, the Mackie is pretty darn nasty!), I'd suggest you try to get an audition of the M300 or any other unit you're considering to make sure you're happy with it.

Bob

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME - CHEERS
For a start DON'T SHOUT.

Welcome to the Blue Room, and I'm sure an expert on soud will be along soon to answer your query better than I could!

So sorry about the caps - I should know better!!!

In your price band I'd probably go for the TC Electronic M300. It's got a good track record for reliability and, for the money, sounds quite nice indeed.

The one thing I'd say though, is that once you start really listening to effects, it's possible to get quite fussy about the sound. Since you've already started hearing the nasties in the built-in effects (though I have to say, the Mackie is pretty darn nasty!), I'd suggest you try to get an audition of the M300 or any other unit you're considering to make sure you're happy with it.

Bob

Cheers,

I had looked at that one amongst others - will seriously consider it!!

Bob

seen a TC M350 for about the right price, do you know the diff if any?? Failing that I have the offer of a USED m300, are used units reliable by and large? I know there are some things best bought new, would this be one??

As I understand it, the main differences between the M300 and the M350 are mainly that the 350 has more features aimed at the home studio market: thinks like VST DAW control, more MIDI features and such. I believe the basic effects are the same. Note though that I've never used one in anger.

As for second hand, effects units tend to have a good long service life since there aren't many moving parts. I wouldn't rule out a used box, though obviously the lack of warranty is always a gamble.

Lexicon have a good reputation for effects units and many people swear by them. However, I haven't personally liked the sound as much as TC Electronic or Yamaha. As I said in my first post, a choice of 'verbs is a very personal one and I recommend listening for yourself!

Bob

Archived