AV Visualisations to project

DSA

Hi,

Is there a free program available for PC (windows) to enable visualisations to be projected (as in Windows Media Player). I want to project something onto the cyc cloth behind acts for thursdays performance.

Any ideas??

or should I just use Windows Media Player.

The only thing is that I am worried that at the end of the visualisation you will see my desktop etc., as I will also play looped sound effects from it.

I have to also project mpeg's and a dvd at different times in the show.

Perhaps the visualisation should just be a mpeg file.

Finally, how far away should the projector be from the cloth, before it loses focus too much??

This is a problem, as I may therefore need 2 laptops.

One for the sound, and one for the projections (can take that audio feed off the projector).

so does this sound OK, and how do I get/use visualisations?????

David

P.S. Sorry but im not really an AV man!!!

You may want to use Sonique (www.sonique.com) with a visulisation called AcidSpunk. It's WAAAY better than WMP, and a fair bit better than WinAmp's visulizations. It has a very good full screen mode, and you can (using extra software) record it to an AVI (MPEG or whatever the program will do). You can even set the resolution to 720x576.

how do you suggest I switch between this to play visualisations and dvd player without showing windows (and audition to play audio loops)??

just use lens cover??

or disconnect cable when not reqd??

How can the projector project a black screen?

or will it show 'no signal....' if I try to switch off 'external monitor'

I havent really used them before, thats all!

David

PS Is there any way of 'dimming' the video signal like a lighting channel? (without additional equipment)

Depends on your projector, what kind have you got.

Some projectors have "AV Mutes" selectable of the projector body and remote control which blacks out the signal. note that this way you never get a true blackout there is still a certain amount of light output which may not be suitable if it was being used as part of a show. The way I've always done blackouts is manually i.e. if I am next to the projector I use a "small bit of wood with gaffa on it"TM or if I am further away arrangements with string and catflaps painted black work well.

You can't dim the projector signal.. but you can brighten the other lights in the space. Or if your looking for a fade type effect you could do something manually with some muslin cloth or net curtain that you could gently pass in front of the lense (no firey death incidents please).

euan

A vision mixer, even a simple crossfader or video switcher can help with keeping the "edges" clean around your AV cues. Wire it into your system between your sources and the projector to allow you to crossfade or switch cleanly between your sources.

Some projectors offer you the setup option of a black "no signal" screen, but some will always go bright blue or slap the text "no signal" over the output if they're not fed a signal all the time. Also, even with a black no signal screen some will power down after a predetermined time without any signal - and apart from preventing any further projections this can also cause a lot of noise as the fans kick in to cool the lamp down.

If the vision mixer or switcher doesn't have a matte generator to give you a black signal I've used a "blacked" VHS tape (recorded end to end with just black) as a source to feed black signal to video projectors between cues - keeping then from displaying their 'orrible NO SIGNAL messages and ultimately from powering themselves down.

As euan observed even with a black signal the projector chucks out some light, and in scene changes etc this can be quite ugly... If it's likely to be a problem some time spend with string and bits of black tat can be useful - I've had ASMs sliding cards in front of the lens to give a true blackout in some cases!

Hope this helps

Tim

Archived