Live recording

Darkness

Hi all,

I am trying to find some kind of multi channel input for a pc so I can record (probably in adobe audition) or some other similar program.

I want somthing external so I can plug it into various computers and not restricted to my large desktop pc. So far the best thing I seem to have found is the Echo AudioFire 12. For the last show we used 9 mics and a stereo channel, im thinking about plugging into the direct out on the sound desk.

Does this sound like a good setup and as im new to this type of thing and dont realy know any manufacturers of these kind of products is there anything else on the market that may be better, obviously price is a major deciding factor. I'm just looking for advice realy on this kind of set up and any ideas are welcome

this is a pretty useful interface - I don't tend to use the 96/192 sample rates myself, but it's nice to have it if you need it. It can also cope with semi-pro and pro levels via the software which is a good indicator. The spec is fine, but most kit of this type has these figures. The software it comes with I'm not familiar with, but seems a good way of actually doing the recording, leaving the mixing to your favourite 'real' sequencer of which SX is my own choice - not because it's best, just because that's what I've grown up with.

£400 seems a fair price for such a product to me.

Echo Labs multichannel sound cards are well thought of by most people but there a great many other brands you could look at too.

Since you're likely to be using Audition for your recording, may I suggest that you look at THIS THREAD on the Audiomasters forum. (Audiomasters, if you haven't found it, is a forum dedicated entirely to supporting Cooledit/Audition users.)

The only think I'd say is that even this list isn't exhaustive...it was created back when AA1.5 was current so cards needing ASIO drivers could not be considered. Audition 2.0 (with ASIO support) can use an even wider range of interfaces. However, you'll find a lot of useful advice and experience over at Audio masters.

I previously did use an Echo labs PCI based card and think very highly of it. Since then I've changed my method entirely and use a DM1000 digital mixer with an ADAT card and a Frontier Designs Dakota interface into my PC...so, in effect, I use my mixer as a sound card now and just interface that into my PC. This is why I'm not really able to suggest anything from the current range of USB/Firewire sound cards.

Bob

Whilst I am a confirmed fan of Audition, having been a user since CoolEdit 96 first came out, I would be wary of using any version below 2.0 for live recordings of any length. This is due to the earlier versions storing the recording in (a) temporary file(s), which then must be explicitly saved after the recording is completed. This can take a significant amount of time, and until the save is complete, the recording is vulnerable, and you cannot start a new recording.

AA 2.0, on the other hand, records directly to the file you specify when you start recording and does not suffer from these problems.

My own preference for this type of recording would be to use an Alesis HD24, transfer to PC with a fireport and then edit/mix with Audition.

I have to echo (pun intended...see OP) what d korman said. Several times I've been in a race to see if Act I finishes saving before Act II starts or (even worse) whether Act II finishes saving before the pubs close!. Some very brave people used to simply pull the power on their PCs and count on the "restore" function to bring everything back and save it later....but, despite lots of assurances it worked fine, I never could work up the nerve!

However, with AA2.0 which I now use, this has all gone away and the "direct to disk" recording works reliably and well for me. Dedicated hardware solutions are also good, of course, but I no longer feel the need, at least for the stuff I do.

Bob

yeah I had noticed saving the files from audition was a bit slow but an hour a half took me about 4 mins so not too bad, as long as I started it saving right at the beginning of the interval (nearly forgot once) and im normaly the last person to leave and am locking the place up so saving after the event isnt a problem for me. Hopefully I will be able to get AA2 soon to try it.

I am actualy look for 2 devices one for a new hall/theatre at work which will be fixed (preferably into the rack) so we are able to plug laptops in to it and we will be using pro logic for that but I also want one for personal use where my funds are a bit more limitied, im just not too familiar with windows programs and audition is the only one ive used to do this type of thing before so thats why I said it.

At work we only want about 8 inputs but more would be better but at for personal use I am looking for more than 8, generally we use 1 stereo channel and upto 8 mics.

The M Audio delta 1010 has had rave reviews for over 3 years, is available as the 1010lt which is a Pci card with flying I/O leads, or the Delta 1010, which is a Pci card and a 1u 19" rack unit housing the pre-amps etc. I think it will record up to 8 audio tracks simultaneously

I was originally looking at the m-audio delta 1010 but audition paired the inputs to left and right when u sed the delta 44 (I dunnno if all programs are like this) so that would put the 8 audio inputs down to 4 which is realy enough.

Also I thought if I get an external peice of equipment then it can be plugged into a few different comuters/laptops so I dont have to take my computer down every time I want to record.

It's an easy selection within Audition (Track Properties in multitrack view) to select whether your multitrack card is recorded as a series of L/R stereo tracks or all mono, alternating L only and R only. The M-Audio card also has a good reputation...indeed I used to use one until I went the ADAT route. I'm pretty sure you'll have to make this selection with most/all multitrack cards since the Audition default is stereo recording.

That said, I can now see the attraction of a Firewire device that can be moved from computer to computer rather than an installed PCI system.

Bob

Archived