Alternatives to Zero 88 dimmers

graemeftv

Im looking for an aternative to a zero 88 beta pack, I know strand have made a few bits. But I have been thinking about purchasing some cheaper 2u dimmers that dont have 15 amp sockets but considering making a 15amp patch outlet for them the problem I have is there is limited space in the venue and the beta pack is about the only thing that will neatly work with the exsisting patch cords.

Has anyone ever tried using a cheaper 2u dimmer but making there own 15amp sockets, I know its easy to rack mount the dimmers and get a 4 u panel with 12 15amp sockets punched into it, but there is not room and reckon you would need a 6u case for each 6 channels of dimming.

I have also thought about taking the output from dimmers on soca pex to a box with 15amp sockets on it, the idea being that the dimmers can be placed remotely from the patch area where there is no room.

This whole issue bares on cost some of the install dimmers are £200 cheaper than the zero 88 stuff.

Any thoughts

Moderation: ALL CAPS post corrected.

First off, can you turn Caps-lock off, then remove and throw away your Caps-lock key as you obviously can't use it properly.

If you are after dimmers that are cheaper than the Betapack, then you're into the territory of Showtec and the like - those things work, but they really aren't very reliable and have close to zero support for when they go wrong.

I'd prefer second-hand Betapacks to one of the dirt-cheap dimmer brands - even second-hand I'd expect they'd last longer.

This whole issue bares on cost some of the install dimmers are £200 cheaper than the zero 88 stuff.

But then there's the cost of 12 panel-mount 15A sockets, panel, rack space, cable, time to wire up etc. etc. And you've already said you're short of space...

You could look at the prices of Pulsar's 15A rackpack for new, or go 2nd-hand

Archived